Hot springs, hilltop villages and helpful tips; 10 things we learnt in the September 2021 issue of French Property News (plus Living France), out now!
- Credit: Archant
French property, expert advice, real life stories and much more, all to be found in the new issue of French Property News which is out now
1. The French love Sancerre
This little hilltop village in the Cher department proved to be a favourite with the French, as it was voted le village préféré des français 2021 (p.10)
2. Water jousting in the port town of Sète
Learn more about the town that’s known as the Venice of Occitanie, and its fascinating local sport (p.24)
3. Have yourself a natural hot shower in Aude, or swim where Claude Monet once swam
Find some fabulous wild swimming spots across France, including Rennes-les-Bains, the Clue d’Aiglun, wild waterfalls and much more. There’s also a copy of Wild Swimming France by Daniel Start to be won! (p.28)
4. The Languedoc is the single largest wine exporter in the world
Find some beautiful winemaking property destinations in the south of France (p.36)
- 1 We still want to escape to the château – but maybe not to do a Dick and Angel!
- 2 In the footsteps of Amélie Poulain in Paris
- 3 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 My France: Taggart and Two Doors Down actor Alex Norton's love of Languedoc
- 6 Emily in Paris: 3 Parisian apartments for sale that remind us of the popular Netflix show
- 7 9 dreamy châteaux for sale in France for budgets starting at €200,000
- 8 Carol Drinkwater: A tribute to the French baguette
- 9 Can you guess which 3 French towns are the best to live in?
- 10 French property: Where is best to invest?
5. Just outside the world capital of gastronomy, Lyon, are the Dombes étangs
Not only are the Dombes étangs one of the most important wetland zones in France, but it’s also the country’s largest area of freshwater fish (p.46)
6. Apartment owners in France don’t pay ground rent or maintenance fees to a freeholder
Long leases like in England and Wales don’t exist in France, as each apartment is owned absolutely, as well as a proportion of the communal area, known as a ‘commonhold’ ownership (p.68)
7. A French or British will?
Learn how to plan your inheritance in France (p.70)
8. The Bayeux Tapestry is a Unesco-listed embroidery
Find out more about the Calvados department, from the D-Day beaches to the lush apple orchards (p.86)
9. Plumbing Problems
The diameter for water pipes is different in France to the UK (p.96)
10. Cyrano de Bergerac never even visited Bergerac
Learn about the medieval town on the banks of the Dordogne River (p.116)
If you want to read and learn more about buying property and living in France, take out our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!
Starting this issue, you can also get a copy on MagsDirect
On the cover : A charming home in Vienne on the market with Leggett _____________________________________________________________________________________
Win a copy of Almost French by Louis Jansen van Vuuren