From crêpe festivals to cable car rides, find out what delightful titbits we unearthed about France while putting together the new June 2019 issue of the magazine
1) There’s a festival for crêpes in Brittany every July – where can we sign up?
The 27th edition of this festival celebrating the scrumptious crêpe is held in Gourin, Morbihan from 27-28 July.
Discover more delicious food festivals across France on page 74.
2) Lourdes has the highest number of hotel beds in France outside of Paris
You won’t be short on choice when it comes to finding a room in the Hautes-Pyrénées holiday hub.
Find out how to spend a culture-packed weekend in Lourdes on page 44.
3) If you’re a fan of angelica, Niort is the place to go
Baked into cakes, cooked into jams, coated in chocolate: there are myriad ways to enjoy the green delicacy in the Deux-Sèvres town.
Enjoy our Quick Guide to Niort on page 24.
4) The mystery of those Garfield telephones washing up on a French beach has finally been solved
A Brittany community has finally solved the 36-year mystery of those Garfield telephones washing up on their beaches – they were from a lost shipping container swept off a cargo ship back in 1983!
Read about more goings-on in France in our news section on page 81.
5) Ferdinand Cheval’s magnificent ‘palace’ took over 33 years to build
The postman’s astonishing construction feat took him decades – and the result was well worth the effort. Visit it in Hauterives, 40 miles from Lyon in the Drôme département.
Learn about other self-taught artists with Deborah Nash on page 51.
6) Paris is a stalwart of the natural wine scene
Natural wines, made with as little chemical intrusion as possible, are the latest trend in the winemaking industry – and Paris has got some great options.
Discover three of the best natural wine bars with Daniel Neilson on page 26.
7) The Aiguille de Midi is the highest peak in France served by cable car
It’s the closest you can get to the summit of Mont Blanc without walking or hiking. Probably not one to try if you’ve got a fear of heights!
Find out more fabulous cable car rides on page 19.
So what are you waiting for? The June 2019 issue of FRANCE Magazine is out on 1 May – order your copy here.
Or take advantage of our great subscription offers and get FRANCE Magazine delivered straight to your door every month!