From a Martian-esque lake to magnificent urban gardens, here’s a sneak peek of what you’ll discover about France in our new UK issue
1) A group of Acadian refugees came to the Breton island of Belle-Île-en-Mer in the 18th century
78 Acadian families sought refuge on the island in 1765 and some of their descendants still live there today.
Alison Hughes follows in the Acadians’ footsteps in a trip to Belle-Île.
2) You may not have heard of the village of Sallertaine in Vendée, but it’s well worth a visit
From its many artisans to its historic churches, this Vendéen destination makes a nice little day trip inland from the region’s beautiful beaches.
Take a stroll in Sallertaine with Sandra Haurant.
3) There’s a Martian-esque lake in the south of France
The rust-red slopes that surround the Lac du Salagou seem almost otherworldly!
Discover this fascinating spot in Hérault with Stephen Turnbull.
4) Forget the Alps next time you go skiing – the Pyrenees offers all the variety you need, plus a change of scene
From Peyragudes, setting of Tomorrow Never Dies, to Grand Tourmalet, an off-piste skiing dream, you’ll be spoilt for choice by the Pyrenean resorts.
Local expert Catherine Cooper takes you on a tour.
5) You don’t need to go all the way to France for a fab French cookery class
With the power of Zoom, Cook’n With Class are offering popular French baking workshops online.
Brigitte Nicolas puts on her toque for two days of French cake-making.
6) France’s urban greenery is making its mark on cities across the country
Visit the hanging gardens that are brightening French cityscapes from Paris to Provence.
Enjoy the work of France’s green-thumbed designers with Robin Gauldie.
7) For your next French road trip, consider following the River Doubs
Stop off at Dole, Arc-et-Senans and Besançon en route for a trip to remember.
Follow Lara Dunn as she drives through the bucolic eastern countryside.
So what are you waiting for? The February 2021 issue of FRANCE Magazine is out now: order your copy here.
Or take advantage of our great subscription offers and get FRANCE Magazine delivered straight to your door every month!