Musketeers, Mona Lisa, Money-saving tips and much more... 13 Things we learnt in the August issue of French Property News (plus Living France), out now!
- Credit: Archant
The August issue of French Property News with 25-page Living France section is out now!
1. City properties are selling fast!
Toulouse has seen its number of potential buyers double since January p.9
2. A fake fetches a fortune!
A copy of the Mona Lisa, the Hekking Mona Lisa, sold by auction for €2.9 million p.11
3. France’s fruit
The second half of April is the best time to see the display of cherry blossom trees in full bloom p.30
- 1 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 2 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 3 5 French property articles you won’t want to miss
- 4 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 5 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 6 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 7 Northern France: 5 places to visit for a short break from the UK
- 8 Can I disinherit my children?
- 9 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 10 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
4. As seen on A New life in the Sun : A business in Tarn-et-Garonne
Shepherd huts are called roulottes in French p.36
5. The heritage of Hérault
If you want affordable property in a historical centre with winemakers’ homes on the outskirts it might be an idea to look at the town of Clermont-l’Hérault p.50
6. Meat-free cuisine
There are roughly 150 vegetarian restaurants in France p.55
7. Integration through association
Joining a non-profit organisation, or association might help towards applying for French citizenship as it shows you have integrated p.58
8. Motifs of resistance remain
The Croix de Lorraine and the letter V were a symbol of resistance against the Nazi Occupation, and it can still be seen on some buildings in France p.66
9. Making the most of your money
If you time your purchase right with the currency exchange, you could be maximising your property budget and saving a lot of money p.72
10. Driving circles around the rest of the world
France is believed to have the most roundabouts in the world p.78
11. The most famous musketeer
D’Artagnan, one of the Three Musketeers, was born in Lupiac in Gers in 1611 p.90
12. The women of Paris
Of Paris’ 6,000 streets, 4,000 are named after men, and only 300 are named after women p.100
13. D-Day damage
An estimated 95% of the town of Vire in Normandy was bombed during the June 1944 D-Day invasion p.116
If you want to read and learn more about buying property and living in France, take out our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!
On the cover : A beautiful eight-bedroom Gascon Chateau on the market with Le Bonheur