7 absinthe cocktails to make at home – which could bring out the artist in you
- Credit: Archant
Enjoy a taste of France from home with these delicious absinthe cocktail
Did you know happy hour, celebrated in bars around the world, started in the back streets of Montmartre in the 1860s? It was known as l’Heure Verte – the Green Hour – to describe indulging in the anise-flavoured spirit, absinthe.
The green fairy, as it was known, was popular with artists from Pablo Picasso to Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec who were all seduced by this hypnotic emerald spirit.
Potent in both alcohol content and its turbulent history, absinthe, which became synonymous with the term a ‘mad genius,’ was banned in France, across Europe and the United States for about 100 years but is now seeing a revival.
Today, we can enjoy our own happy hour every day of the week with these seven seductive cocktails courtesy of Crillon Importers.
25ml Grande Absente
25ml Cuban White Rum
- 1 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 2 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 5 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 6 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 9 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
Half a diced lime
1 teaspoon red sugar cane
Fresh mint leaves
Tumbler Preparation: Crush the lemon and mint with the pestle. Fill the glass with shaved ice and top up with Grande Absente. Stir.
2-3 slices of unpeeled cucumber
4-5 diced cubes of lime
2 mint leaves
1 teaspoon of red cane sugar, Angostura, Tabasco
Old fashioned glass
Preparation: Stack the cucumber, mint, lime and sugar in the shaker. Add the Absente, 1 dash of Angostura and another of Tabasco; mix and serve in the glass over crushed ice.
1 piece of sugar
3 dashes of Angostura
60 ml Cognac
Zest of 1 lemon
Preparation: Place the sugar soaked in Angostura in an Absente glass, pour in the absente and Cognac. Add ice cubes and the lemon zest.
30ml Grande Absente
40ml green apple liqueur
10ml squeezed lime
Mix the ingredients in the shaker and serve in the chilled glass.
Half a lime juice
Tumbler Preparation: Pour the ingredients into a tumbler half filled with ice cubes.
5ml sugar syrup
10ml cream of blackcurrant
Few drops of Angostura
Old fashioned glass
Preparation: Mix the ingredients in the shaker and serve in the glass over 2 or 3 ice cubes.
40ml Grande Absente
5ml lime juice
4-5 citronella leaves
1 teaspoon icing sugar
3-4 slices of fresh cucumber
Preparation: Crush the citronella, sugar and cucumber in the tumbler with a pestle. Mix the other ingredients, fill the glass with shaved ice. Stir.