23 French words to use in a restaurant in France
- Credit: Archant
Planning to go out for dinner in France? Here is all the French vocabulary you’ll need to order fluently at a French restaurant
Avez-vous une table pour quatre? – Do you have a table for four?
Le serveur / La serveuse – The waiter / waitress
La carte – The menu
Le menu – Fixed-price menu
Quel est le plat du jour? – What is today’s special?
Qu’est-ce que vous recommandez? – What do you recommend?
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 5 French property articles you won’t want to miss
- 3 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 6 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 7 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
- 8 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 9 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
Vous avez choisi? – Have you decided?
Je vous écoute – What would you like? (Literally: I’m listening to you’.)
Je voudrais – I would like
Je prends – I’ll have
Les entrées – Starters
Le plat principal – Main course
Le repas – Meal
Saignant – Rare
À point – Medium rare
Bien cuit – Well done
Je suis allergique à – I’m allergic to
À la – In the style of; for example ‘a la française’, which translates as ‘French style’
C’est terminé? – Are you finished?
Ça a été? – Was everything ok?
Je n’ai plus faim – I’m full
L’addition – The bill
Le pourboire – Tip