7 reasons to buy a French property to renovate
- Credit: Archant
Not sure whether a renovation project in France is for you? Here are 7 reasons to choose a French property than needs renovation
1. There is plenty of choice
Whether you have your sights set on a traditional moulin in south-west France or a longère in Brittany you will sure to be able to find it.
2. Your property will have plenty of character
A quick property search will reveal that France has plenty of character properties in need of renovation with exposed stone walls, wooden beams, open fireplaces, and you will have the pleasure of bringing these period features back to their former glory.
3. You can add all the modern comforts you want
The advantage of buying a renovation project rather than a finished house is that you can easily add all the modern comforts you would like, for example geothermic heating, a modern kitchen and power shower.
- 1 Travel vloggers visit ‘elegant and charming’ Nice in the South of France
- 2 7 project properties to renovate in France for under €20,000
- 3 Complete France Advent Calendar Competition 2021
- 4 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 5 Want to invest in a summer holiday let in France? Consider a cheap ski resort
- 6 5 festive French properties: Cute Cottages for sale in France
- 7 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 8 Guide to social etiquette in France
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 How to find a dream home in France without leaving your sofa
4. You can add your personality from the start
If you are starting a renovation from scratch then you are free to add your own personality and touches to the property from the beginning rather than living with a kitchen that isn’t quite right.
5. You can often get more property for your money
A fully renovated period cottage can be expensive and it is often much cheaper to buy one that needs either a full renovation or a few finishing touches. However, a renovation could be costly, especially if you come across some unexpected problems.
6. You will add value to your property
If you pick up a bargain renovation property and succeed in transforming it into an amazing home without spending a fortune then you could be in line to make a nice profit if you decide to sell it on.
7. Renovating can be fun!
It can be great fun to design your perfect home and to see it appear and if you get stuck in with the renovation you will learn loads of new skills.