Exhibition: La Parisienne by Sofitel
- Credit: Archant
A new exhibition at Sofitel London St James uncovers the secrets of being a Parisienne
French style has always held a certain mystery. For years women across the globe have shared a fascination for the most elusive of all creatures: La Parisienne. Followers of French fashion will already know the rules: never scrimp on quality, classic always trumps trend, and hair should always be un-done. We have longingly looked on as French women savour all kinds of delicious food and never seem to put on a pound, carry themselves with elegance and style, and seem in a permanent state of chic. We have wondered secretly to ourselves, how are they so damn effortless?
A new travelling exhibition hosted by Sofitel Hotels aims to answer just that question with the ‘La Parisienne by Sofitel’ exhibition in the St James, London, hotel this autumn, ahead of Fashion Week. Curated by the iconic French magazine Paris Match, the exhibition features intimate portraits of some of the world’s most celebrated women, exploring what it means to be ‘Parisienne’ and uncovering the style and poise of recognised starlets who have inhabited Paris throughout the decades.
Running from September 27 until November 17 2016, the two-part exhibition unearths the Paris Match archives, stretching back to the 1950s, with several shots by famed photographer Emanuele Scorcelletti. It’s a must-see for Francophiles who will be able to catch a glimpse of previously unseen photographs of the likes of Catherine Deneuve, Francoise Sagan, Sophia Loren and Jane Fonda. The contemporary part of the exhibition is a display of 10 winning photos selected by a jury from the La Parisienne nationwide photo contest in France. The competition was made open to amateur and young professional photographers, and challenged entrants to capture what they believe La Parisienne embodies in this day and age.
What’s more, to honour the exhibition, Sofitel has partnered with the famous fashion blogger Ella Catliff of La Petite Anglaise, to curate a series of La Parisienne themed experiences, available exclusively to hotel guests. These will include La Parisienne Personal Styling Service, Hair Service and Beauty Service to allow guests to enjoy Parisian glamour from their hotel room. You don’t just get to gawk at the Parisiennes, they are offering to turn you into one too.
In November the exhibition will continue its world tour of Sofitel hotels, an adventure that will take it to Warsaw, Amsterdam, Lisbon and Budapest before continuing on to other destinations.
La Parisienne by Sofitel is opening at Sofitel London St James from 27th September 2016 until 17th November 2016. Admission free.
- 1 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 2 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 3 5 French property articles you won’t want to miss
- 4 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
- 5 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 6 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 10 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
Like this? You might enjoy: