It is one of the most-visited cities in the world but no matter how many times you visit there is always something new to discover. These are the reasons we will keep visiting Paris
1. Paris is the city of love. Whether it’s a romantic walk beside the Seine, a candle-lit dinner for two in a cosy back-street bistro or a comfy night’s stay in a beautiful 17th century townhouse off the Champs-Élysées, nowhere does romance quite like Paris.
2. It’s so easy to get to, now just 2 hours 15 minutes on the Eurostar from London St Pancras, with return fares from as little as £64.
3. The city boasts a whopping 70 Michelin-starred restaurants, 10 of which hold the maximum 3 stars.
4. It is home to one of the world’s greatest museums – The Louvre – and countless others that you might never have come across. Our favourites include the Edith Piaf museum, with a sense of intimacy rarely achieved in museums, and the Musée des Arts Forains, bursting with lost fairground treasures dating back to the 1800s.
5. The café culture. Wherever you decide to stay in the City of Light, chances are there will be a charming café nearby where you can peruse your newspaper whilst enjoying a good café au lait or a decadent chocolat chaud.
6. It’s the undisputed pastry capital of France. There are so many prestigious pâtissiers in Paris that it is hard to know where to start. While classic addresses such as La Durée, Fauchon, Lenôtre and Pierre Hermé feature highly on the guidebook’s list of places to go, a new wave of chefs are emerging, eager to put their creative twists on traditional French sweet treats. Two pastry chefs to watch are Christophe Michalak and Mori Yoshida.
7. The city has some of Europe’s best vintage markets. The Marché aux Puces de St-Ouen and Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves are two big name markets in Paris; shop at both for beautiful antique lace, old tablecloths, hand-blown glasses and paintings that may well have been produced by an old French master.
8. The Eiffel Tower. This magnificent 300m-high iron structure can be seen from pretty much everywhere in the city and come night time treats its admirers to a dazzling display of colour. New for this year is the transparent glass observation deck on the 1st floor, the perfect place for visitors to snap that all-important selfie.