Armchair travel: 21 virtual tours in France to try in 2021
- Credit: Archant
We’ve rounded up some of France’s best virtual tours so you can take a French holiday from home
The travel forecast may slowly be improving, but for those of us desperate to return for France, virtual visits are the next best thing. From gardens to Gallo-Roman ruins, from châteaux to museums, these virtual tours of France’s landmarks are the perfect chance to see some of the country’s best-loved sights without the tourist crowds.
1. Explore Monet’s garden, a riot of colour that inspired some of his most famous artworks, at the Fondation Monet in Giverny.
2. Marvel at the Gothic grandeur of Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, dating back to the 13th century.
3. See some of the theatre world’s most beautiful costumes at the Centre National du Costume de Scène (National Centre for Stage Costume) in Moulins.
4. Go underground to see a different side to Paris in the city’s eerie catacombs.
5. Visit the fairytale-like Château de Chambord in Loir-et-Cher.
6. Step back in time at the Gallo-Roman remains at La Roquebrussanne.
7. Explore Strasbourg’s breathtaking cathedral, completed in 1439.
8. Soak up the Alpine atmosphere at the legendary La Folie Douce in Val d’Isère.
9. Immerse yourself in the historic surroundings of Fontevraud Abbey in the Loire Valley.
10.Take a trip to the pretty-in-pink Château de Voltaire in Ferney.
11. Pay a visit to the world-famous Sanctuary at Lourdes, at the gateway to the Pyrenees.
12. Visit the setting of the Festival d’Aix, the international music festival in Provence.
13. Follow in the footsteps of royalty at the Château de Versailles near Paris.
14. See one of France’s most unusual art galleries – La Piscine, Roubaix.
15. Discover prehistoric France at the Musée de Préhistoire des Gorges du Verdon.
16. Explore the fantastic Mediterranean gardens of the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild on the Côte d’Azur.
17. See some of the Louvre’s top exhibits without the crowds.
18. Visit some of Corsica’s most beautiful beaches, including Plage de Palombaggia.
19. Tour the fortified Château de Kerjean in Finistère.
20. Discover the Museum of Street Art in Paris, with some of the city’s best contemporary designs on show.
21. Finally, for young Francophiles, take these child-friendly tours of some more of Paris’ top museums.
If you enjoyed this, you might also like...