Who are the French nominees at the Oscars 2020?
- Credit: Archant
Get to know the four films and the celebrated composer up for Academy Awards at the 92nd ceremony
The highlight of the international film calendar, the 92nd Academy Awards will take place on 9 February and this year four French films are up for gongs. French composer Alexandre Desplat is also nominated for his score to Little Women (Les Filles du Dr. March in French). Meet the nominees!
Les Misérables (directed by Ladj Ly)
Nominated for Best International Film
If you sit down to watch Ly's debut film expecting Javert and Fantine to make an appearance, you'll be disappointed. Set in Paris' eastern Montfermeil district - home to the Thénardiers' inn in Hugo's epic - Les Misérables was inspired by the 2005 Paris riots and puts the spotlight on tensions between the area's police and locals.
J'ai Perdu Mon Corps (directed by Jérémy Clapin)
Nominated for Best Animated Film
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 3 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 4 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 5 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 6 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 10 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
A coming-of-age cartoon about severed hand and its former owner is certainly one of the Oscars' more unusual choices but I Lost My Body (based on a book by Amélie screenwriter Guillaume Laurant) is one of the year's most original and creative choices.
Nefta Football Club (directed by Yves Piat)
Nominated for Best Live Action Short Film
This hilarious court métrage takes place under the Tunisian sun as two young brothers come across a headphone-wearing donkey carrying bags full of white powder on his back. What do they do? Take him back to their village, of course!
Mémorable (directed by Bruno Collet)
Nominated for Best Animated Short Film
A moving and unsettling stop-motion story of painter Louis and his wife Michelle who have noticed that the world around them is disappearing; people and objects have become less realistic. Eventually, as he gets more and more confused, poor Louis cannot recognise either himself or his wife.
Paris-born Desplat is already a two-time Oscar winner for his scores to The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Shape of Water; his other feted works include the Harry Potter series, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Danish Girl.
Liked this article? You might also like...