Win! A copy of The Black Notebook by Patrick Modiano
- Credit: Archant
Enter our competition for your chance to win a copy of The Black Notebook
“What would you say if I’d done something really serious? What would you say if I’d murdered somebody?”
A writer discovers a set of notebooks from his past and sets off on a journey through Paris, retracing his steps from decades before and searching for the woman he loved some 40 years ago. Among Jean’s scribbles emerge some more worrying notes implying that Dannie, his lost love, may have killed someone.
Mostly set in the Montparnasse district of the French capital, which was then a disreputable neighbourhood, the story takes Jean on a journey where memories mingle with present day as he wanders from cheap bar to dodgy hotel, trying to find Dannie and relive his moments with the group of friends he had at the time. Jean soon finds out he may be the only remaining witness to the closed case of a crime dating back to the 1960s, which he decides to reinvestigate.
With shady characters but a beautiful lyrical prose that is closer to poetry, Nobel Prize-recipient Modiano has produced a novel full of mystery that will capture any reader.
We have four copies of The Black Notebook to give away. Click here to enter
The closing date for entries is 14 March 2017
The Black Notebook, Patrick Modiano, £8,99, Quercus
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 3 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 4 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 5 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 6 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 10 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit