Period farmhouse in Gard
- Credit: Archant
This restored period farmhouse in Gard with a pool and apartments to rent out, is Stephanie Sheldrake’s favourite French property for sale
Lussan, Gard, Languedoc-Roussillon
It’s that time of year when I find myself daydreaming of a new and sunnier life in France – usually this conjures up images of basking on a sunlounger next to a pool in a sun-soaked corner of southern France.
My dream seemed to appear before my eyes when I saw the photos of Mas de la Bousquette, a lovingly restored 16th-century farmhouse nestling at the foot of Lussan, a beautiful village in the Gard department. The property sits in seven acres of grounds including landscaped gardens, ponds, courtyards, a herb garden and even a rose garden with some 300 roses.
The farmhouse boasts a spacious living space with three reception rooms – the main one being an expansive 100m² – but still retains a homely feel with period features such as beams, exposed brickwork and wood-burning stoves. The kitchen has been carefully restored with all modern conveniences while retaining the period charm of the building. Upstairs are three luxury bedrooms, all with bathrooms.
At the heart of the property is a beautiful part-roofed Roman-style courtyard, which would provide the perfect setting for all that the laid-back French lifestyle has to offer. I could easily imagine sitting in this outdoor space having lazy lunches or hosting summer evening soirées with friends. All my sunlounging needs would be well catered for with the lovely sheltered pool garden – a veritable oasis of calm with an 11-metre pool surrounded by a beautiful collection of rare Mediterranean plants.
- 1 Iconic landmarks: The story behind Paris’ Arc de Triomphe
- 2 10 Romantic Hotels In France
- 3 Take a stroll in and around Pornic in Loire-Atlantique
- 4 French Properties: 5 houses with swimming pools for sale in France
- 5 See inside: Escape to the Chateau DIY's Chateau de Lomenie for sale
- 6 Discover the South of France villa from the upcoming Downton Abbey film
- 7 Why Boulogne-sur-Mer makes for a perfect family escape
- 8 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 9 What’s inside the May 2022 issue of FRANCE Magazine UK?
- 10 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
The property comes with three apartments in separate but adjoining wings, giving this property some serious commercial potential in addition to its current five-star ratings awarded by TripAdvisor and the French tourist board.
Surrounded by unspoilt countryside, yet within a five-minute walk of Lussan with its cafés and shops, this farmhouse benefits from the best of both worlds. Mas de la Bouquette is on the market for €1,500,000 with no agent’s fees.