Period farmhouse in Gard
- Credit: Archant
This restored period farmhouse in Gard with a pool and apartments to rent out, is Stephanie Sheldrake’s favourite French property for sale
Lussan, Gard, Languedoc-Roussillon
It’s that time of year when I find myself daydreaming of a new and sunnier life in France – usually this conjures up images of basking on a sunlounger next to a pool in a sun-soaked corner of southern France.
My dream seemed to appear before my eyes when I saw the photos of Mas de la Bousquette, a lovingly restored 16th-century farmhouse nestling at the foot of Lussan, a beautiful village in the Gard department. The property sits in seven acres of grounds including landscaped gardens, ponds, courtyards, a herb garden and even a rose garden with some 300 roses.
The farmhouse boasts a spacious living space with three reception rooms – the main one being an expansive 100m² – but still retains a homely feel with period features such as beams, exposed brickwork and wood-burning stoves. The kitchen has been carefully restored with all modern conveniences while retaining the period charm of the building. Upstairs are three luxury bedrooms, all with bathrooms.
At the heart of the property is a beautiful part-roofed Roman-style courtyard, which would provide the perfect setting for all that the laid-back French lifestyle has to offer. I could easily imagine sitting in this outdoor space having lazy lunches or hosting summer evening soirées with friends. All my sunlounging needs would be well catered for with the lovely sheltered pool garden – a veritable oasis of calm with an 11-metre pool surrounded by a beautiful collection of rare Mediterranean plants.
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 5 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 6 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 7 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
The property comes with three apartments in separate but adjoining wings, giving this property some serious commercial potential in addition to its current five-star ratings awarded by TripAdvisor and the French tourist board.
Surrounded by unspoilt countryside, yet within a five-minute walk of Lussan with its cafés and shops, this farmhouse benefits from the best of both worlds. Mas de la Bouquette is on the market for €1,500,000 with no agent’s fees.