French city is one of Lonely Planet’s best destinations in Europe this summer
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The Best in Europe list for 2019 has been announced which includes a city in France
Lonely Planet has revealed the top 10 European destinations which should be on every traveller's radar this summer from remote coastlines to buzzing cities.
At number seven the Best in Europe list includes Lyon in France, which Lonely Planet describes as "beautiful", "food-obsessed" and "cultured".
The travel media company believes Lyon is set to become the new French darling of international visitors as it steps into the global spotlight to host the finals of the FIFA Women's World Cup in July.
Lyon has also recently received a nod from the EU for its efforts to make tourism accessible and sustainable.
The Lonely Planet guide to Lyon describes it as commanding a strategic spot at the confluence of the Rhône and the Saône rivers which has been luring people ever since the Romans named it Lugdunum in 43BC.
Lyon is France's third largest city and offers today's urban explorers a wealth of enticing experiences, it adds, including outstanding museums, a dynamic cultural life, a thriving university and fantastic shopping.
- 1 Iconic landmarks: The story behind Paris’ Arc de Triomphe
- 2 10 Romantic Hotels In France
- 3 Take a stroll in and around Pornic in Loire-Atlantique
- 4 French Properties: 5 houses with swimming pools for sale in France
- 5 See inside: Escape to the Chateau DIY's Chateau de Lomenie for sale
- 6 Discover the South of France villa from the upcoming Downton Abbey film
- 7 Why Boulogne-sur-Mer makes for a perfect family escape
- 8 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 9 What’s inside the May 2022 issue of FRANCE Magazine UK?
- 10 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
Tom Hall, Lonely Planet's vice president of experience, said: "Lonely Planet's Best in Europe 2019 list showcases the European destinations which are worth planning a trip around right now.
"From cultural city breaks to awe-inspiring scenery, buzzing foodie destinations and the best spots to escape the crowds, there are a wealth of experiences to be enjoyed across the continent this summer.
"Whether they are firm holiday favourites that have something new to offer, or places you may never have come across, these destinations should be on any traveller's wish list."
Taking the top spot of the Best in Europe list this year is High Tatas in Slovakia followed by Madrid in Spain, the Arctic Coast Way in Iceland, Hercegovina in Bosnia, Bari in Italy, the Shetland Islands, Liechtenstein, Vevey in Switzerland and Istria in Croatia.
For a guide to Lyon's eating out scene, markets and traditional bouchons see the July issue of FRANCE magazine which is out on 29 May 2019.
Like this? You might also like