11 discoveries about life in France from Living France’s December issue
- Credit: Archant
In the December 2019 issue of Living France we explore Drôme, learn how to make a festive wreath, and experts discuss elections in France, and buying a ski property
1. Nougat has been made in Montélimar, Drôme since the 17th century
Find out what else Drôme, with its listed hilltop villages and regional natural parks, has to offer.
2. There are lots of great for Christmas gift options for Francophiles
Our Christmas gift guide ranges from notebooks to jewellery to toys for little ones.
3. Expats in France have found a variety of ways to make Christmas special that suit their family and way of life
Meet four families whose approach to Christmas ranges from traditional affairs at home to holidaying at a theme park.
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 3 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 6 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 7 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 8 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 9 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
4. The French Basque Country has wonderful landscapes for a contemplative walk or a yoga session
Read how one couple moved to the area for semi-retirement and ended up setting up a yoga and hiking business.
5. It is common to buy ski homes 'off-plan' in the Alps
If you are considering buying a property in a ski resort and financing it with a French mortgage, find out what you need to be aware of, plus we have our pick of ski properties for sale.
6. Careful box labelling can make all the difference on moving day
Catharine Higginson shares part two of her step-by-step guide to moving to France.
7. A bise, rather than an actual kiss, is no more than brushing your cheek against the other person's cheek
The dos and don'ts of French etiquette can be tricky to navigate, we take a look at some of the rules to follow en société.
8. You can make your own seasonal wreath with items gathered from a walk in the woods
Interior designer Carla Heyworth has a step-by-step guide to wreath making and discusses the design trends you can expect in 2020.
9. French artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec was born in Albi
We take a look at the Tarn town, its associations with the artist and why it could be a nice place to live.
10. Champagne harvest workers are taking measures to protect the grapes from climate change
Find out what else is happening around France on our news and events pages.
11. French elections often have two stages and always take place on a Sunday
Find out how the election process in France differs from the UK and other countries, and who is allowed to vote or stand as a candidate.
If you want to read and learn more about life in France you can buy the December 2019 issue of Living France here.
Or, you can take out our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!