July 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine out now
- Credit: Archant
In the July 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine, we discover the delights of the River Charente by boat, visit the brand-new museum dedicated to sculptress Camille Claudel and uncover the best places for the ultimate getaway
The river wild
FRANCE Magazine editor Lara Dunn takes to the water for a relaxing self-drive cruise along the Charente River. Her trip sees her travel along tranquil stretches of water between the towns of Jarnac and Saintes, where the only human company is the occasional fisherman. Her cruise instead introduces her to plenty of wildlife; swans, herons, black kites and sand martins all make a regular appearance along the way.
Where to stay to get away from it all
This month we bring you the best places to stay for the ultimate getaway. Whether you want a log cabin in the hills above the Mediterranean, a traveller’s roulette in the heart of champagne country or a fisherman’s hut beside a lake, we reveal our pick of the best places to stay to relax and unwind.
Out of the shadows
Staff writer Peter Stewart travels to the quaint town of Nogent-sur-Seine – 1 hr east of Paris – to visit a new museum dedicated to one of France’s most talented artists: Camille Claudel. The life of the sculptress is vividly portrayed here; the museum is laid out in a sequence, with the artist’s influences and mentors at the beginning and a wing home exclusively to never-seen-before works by Claudel towards the end. Peter’s guided tour enables him to see that there is quite a significant focus on Rodin here too – Claudel’s mentor and then lover.
- 1 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 2 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 3 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 4 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 5 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 6 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 9 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 10 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
Plus, we spend a weekend in the surfing capital of Biarritz, explore France’s musical melodies and suss out the best places to eat in Marseille
Buy the July 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine here
Or take advantage of our great subscription offers!