July 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine out now
- Credit: Archant
In the July 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine, we discover the delights of the River Charente by boat, visit the brand-new museum dedicated to sculptress Camille Claudel and uncover the best places for the ultimate getaway
The river wild
FRANCE Magazine editor Lara Dunn takes to the water for a relaxing self-drive cruise along the Charente River. Her trip sees her travel along tranquil stretches of water between the towns of Jarnac and Saintes, where the only human company is the occasional fisherman. Her cruise instead introduces her to plenty of wildlife; swans, herons, black kites and sand martins all make a regular appearance along the way.
Where to stay to get away from it all
This month we bring you the best places to stay for the ultimate getaway. Whether you want a log cabin in the hills above the Mediterranean, a traveller’s roulette in the heart of champagne country or a fisherman’s hut beside a lake, we reveal our pick of the best places to stay to relax and unwind.
Out of the shadows
Staff writer Peter Stewart travels to the quaint town of Nogent-sur-Seine – 1 hr east of Paris – to visit a new museum dedicated to one of France’s most talented artists: Camille Claudel. The life of the sculptress is vividly portrayed here; the museum is laid out in a sequence, with the artist’s influences and mentors at the beginning and a wing home exclusively to never-seen-before works by Claudel towards the end. Peter’s guided tour enables him to see that there is quite a significant focus on Rodin here too – Claudel’s mentor and then lover.
- 1 Iconic landmarks: The story behind Paris’ Arc de Triomphe
- 2 10 Romantic Hotels In France
- 3 Take a stroll in and around Pornic in Loire-Atlantique
- 4 French Properties: 5 houses with swimming pools for sale in France
- 5 See inside: Escape to the Chateau DIY's Chateau de Lomenie for sale
- 6 Discover the South of France villa from the upcoming Downton Abbey film
- 7 Why Boulogne-sur-Mer makes for a perfect family escape
- 8 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 9 What’s inside the May 2022 issue of FRANCE Magazine UK?
- 10 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
Plus, we spend a weekend in the surfing capital of Biarritz, explore France’s musical melodies and suss out the best places to eat in Marseille
Buy the July 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine here
Or take advantage of our great subscription offers!