7 things we learned about France in the September 2021 issue of FRANCE Magazine
- Credit: Archant
From fascinating James Bond connections to some unusual skiing companions, there’s plenty to savour in our new issue
1) James Bond’s Casino Royale is reportedly set in Normandy
The fictional seaside resort of Royale-les-Eaux, home to the eponymous casino, is believed to be based on Deauville, Trouville or Cabourg in Normandy, or even Le Touquet or Berck in northern France.
Discover James Bond’s fascinating French connections with FRANCE Magazine’s resident film buff, Pierre de Villiers, on page 36.
2) You can ski with a very unusual companion on the slopes of Morzine this winter
The Ski with Eagles experience lets you get up close and personal with some of Jacques-Olivier Travers 15 birds of prey.
Find out more amazing animal experiences in France with Catherine Cooper on page 52.
- 1 French househunters dream of moving to sunny Nouvelle Aquitaine – just like Brits!
- 2 Luxury properties for sale in the Loire Valley
- 3 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 7 reasons to live in Tarn-et-Garonne
- 6 Stephen Clarke: Lost in translation?
- 7 Our next free webinar on French property and living in France is on 6 October
- 8 Heart of town: Lovely French properties for sale in popular town centre locations
- 9 What’s the cheapest way to pass on a French property to our children while we’re still alive?
- 10 Northern France: 5 places to visit for a short break from the UK
3) Paris’ bouillon tradition is enjoying a revival
The iconic Parisian restaurants are winning a new generation of fans thanks to their simple and well-priced cuisine.
Richard Nahem delves into their unlikely renaissance on page 66.
4) France’s favourite village of 2021 has been crowned
Sancerre, famous for its cheese and wine, is the latest winner of the coveted title, following in the footsteps of Hunspach in Alsace.
For more travel inspiration, see who else made the shortlist on page 26.
5) France’s Jurassien Lake District is often bypassed by British tourist but it’s well worth the detour
Just five or six hours from Calais you’ll find a fantastic selection of lakes, perfect for outdoor sports enthusiasts.
Lebby Eyres is your Pays des Lacs tour guide on page 18.
6) Banyuls-sur-Mer was once a smuggling hotspot
Today a genteel seaside resort, Banyuls was once a popular destination for smugglers going back and forth between France and Spain.
Take a stroll in this Mediterranean gem with Helen Parkinson on page 32.
7) The name of the tasty calisson d’Aix is said to have been coined by French queen consort Jeanne de Laval
Upon tasting the sweet, she’s said to have exclaimed, ‘Di calin soun’ (They’re like hugs!).
Discover the interesting story behind one of Provence’s iconic foods with Sarah Lavigne on page 82.
So what are you waiting for? The September 2021 issue of FRANCE Magazine is on sale from 28 July. Take advantage of our great subscription offers and get FRANCE Magazine delivered straight to your door every month! You can also buy single issues from Mags Direct.