While putting together the new issue of FRANCE Magazine every month, we learn lots of fun and quirky new things about our favourite country
1) France is a mushroom-hunter’s paradise – if you know the best places to look
French pharmacists are even qualified to identify mushrooms to help people forage safely.
Grab a wicker basket and join Heidi Fuller-love on the mushroom hunt on page 62.
2) The Camargue is one of France’s most ancient breeds of horse
They’re looked after by some hard-working French cowboys (and girls), les gardians.
Find out more about these beautiful grey steeds on page 76.
3) There’s an amazing wine museum not far from the Eiffel Tower
In some old limestone quarries you’ll find the Musée du Vin, home to a 2,000-strong collection of wine-related objects.
Get the lowdown on Paris’ best small museums with Brigitte Nicolas on page 27.
4) The legendary Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc is celebrating a big birthday this year
The Riviera icon has been in business for 150 years in 2020 and is a big hit with the rich and famous – past guests have included Winston Churchill, Pablo Picasso and Cary Grant.
Read more about the hotel’s starry history on page 24.
5) If you want your next French holiday to be in splendid isolation, look no further than this department
Gorgeous Lozère in Occitanie is France’s least populated department and is a glorious place to while away a few days.
See which other departments are among France’s least populated on page 25.
6) There’s a fantastic ‘Gingerbread Palace’ in Alsace that we’ve added to our to-visit list
You can take a behind-the-scenes tour at Fortwenger’s Palais du Pain d’Epices and see the gingerbread being made, then buy all sorts of gingerbread creations in the shop.
Discover more of Alsace’s culinary delights with Sophie Gardner-Roberts on page 69.
7) A castle is being built from scratch in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté – and you can visit it!
The Château de Guédelon is being constructed using medieval techniques and with locally sourced materials. It is expected to be finished in 2023.
Explore more of eastern France with Steve Mather on page 38.
So what are you waiting for? The August 2020 issue of FRANCE Magazine is out now: order your copy here.
Or take advantage of our great subscription offers and get FRANCE Magazine delivered straight to your door every month!
During these unusual times, we’re also running an extra-special subscription offer: three issues of your favourite magazine for just £5. It’s the perfect treat for yourself, or perhaps a great gift for another Francophile in your life. Click here to find out more about this deal.