This is the French singer representing France at the Eurovision Song Contest 2020
- Credit: Archant
He’s a Parisian singer, actor and comedian with a famous father
French singer, actor and comedian Tom Leeb has been announced as France's representative at this year's Eurovision Song Contest, taking place in the Netherlands.
The singer is the son of well-known French comedian and impressionist Michel Leeb, but has carved his own successful career in show business. After training in theatre, cinema, singing and dancing in New York for five years after leaving school, his breakthrough came when he was chosen to star in the French TV show Sous le Soleil de St Tropez. A series of roles on the big screen and the stage came along, before a musical path beckoned. His debut single Are We Too Late was released in 2018, followed by an album, Recollection.
Listen to Leeb's single Are We Too Late below...
In a break with tradition, France Télévisions (the French public national television broadcaster) did not select Leeb through their television show Destination Eurovision, which helped select the two French contestants of previous years. Last year's contestant, Bilal Hassani, reached 16th place in Israel with his catchy track Roi, while duo Madame Monsieur got up to 13th with their song Mercy in 2018.
France is one of Eurovision's 'Big Five' along with the UK Germany, Spain and Italy, meaning they're automatically allowed to participate in the competition's final because they're the five biggest financial backers. L'Hexagone has won the competition five times; first in 1958 with André Claveau's Dors, Mon Amour and most recently in 1977 with Marie Myriam's L'Oiseau et l'Enfant. Will 2020 be their year?
Liked this article? You might also like...
- 1 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 2 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn