Our dream French property: a Tarn château
Every so often, we come across a French property that knocks us for six. This time, Stephanie Sheldrake falls in love with this Palladian-style château in Tarn
Occasionally when I am looking at properties for sale in France, I come across a house which almost appears to be too good to be true. Well, I say a house, but in this case I mean an elegant 12-bedroom château set in three and a half hectares of land in the department of Tarn. As well as having more bedrooms than I could ever possibly need, there are large opulent interconnecting reception rooms to entertain guests, seven bathrooms and beautiful expansive grounds. And the best bit? This extravagant slice of French grandiosity could be mine for a mere €450,000.
The château has everything you need to entertain dozens of guests, and would make an ideal wedding venue. On the ground floor, the spacious reception rooms benefit from stylish marble fireplaces, double doors and large windows overlooking the gardens. The salon has the potential to seat at least 100 guests and leads to the grand salon, a magnificent ballroom with double doors which open onto the garden. There is also a petit salon (drawing room), a dining room, another reception room and a library.
With 12 bedrooms in total, the property could potentially be transformed into a hotel. There are eight bedrooms and five bath/shower rooms on the first floor, and on the second floor there is a vast reception room which runs from the front to the rear of the property, as well as four large bedrooms and two bathrooms.
As if all this wasn’t enticing enough, the château is set in its own park with mature trees and is being sold with two woodlands and an orchard with plum and apples trees. There is even room for a helipad if you really want to go to town.
Situated 20 minutes from Albi, this property has been on the market for three years and the owners have recently reduced their original asking price (€995,000) to ensure a quick sale. It appears some things are good enough to be true after all!
- 1 Bordeaux triumphs in World’s Best Vineyards 2021 ranking
- 2 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 3 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 4 French househunters dream of moving to sunny Nouvelle Aquitaine – just like Brits!
- 5 Luxury properties for sale in the Loire Valley
- 6 Contactless skiing in France – a solution to Covid and Brexit
- 7 Visit Vire: A guide to the Calvados town in Normandy
- 8 7 reasons to live in Tarn-et-Garonne
- 9 7 project properties to renovate in France for under €20,000
- 10 15 French idioms featuring parts of the body