If I could, I would... Our dream property
Every so often, we come across a French property that knocks us for six. This month, Stephanie Sheldrake falls in love with this characterful house in Manche
When I came across this pretty stone house on the Cotentin peninsula in Normandy, I immediately saw how a new life in France could easily become a reality. As well as the main house, there is a successful gîte, making this a ready-made business as well as a lovely home.
The house retains many character features including part-exposed stone walls, wooden beams and fireplaces, and has the potential to be divided into two, which could expand the gîte business, or be used as chambres d’hôtes accommodation. The main lounge has a wood-burning stove and there is a large fitted kitchen with space for dining. The second lounge has a beautiful part-exposed wall and also benefits from a wood-burning stove.
There are two staircases leading to the first floor, making a potential conversion into two properties relatively easy. The first staircase leads to three large bedrooms, all with en-suite shower rooms and views across the gardens. The second leads to a further two bedrooms and a family bathroom.
The gîte property has its own entrance, and has a lounge with a wood-burning stove, fitted kitchen and dining room, utility and shower room. It’s no surprise that this property has been successfully let to holidaymakers. Within easy reach of the port of Cherbourg, it is situated only a few minutes from the historic town of Coutances. The surrounding area has much to offer visitors, including the iconic Mont Saint-Michel, interesting towns such as Granville and Avranches, and sandy beaches.
One of the big charms of this property is its outside space; there are four acres of land with stabling for four horses and a pony, as well plenty of space for storing hay. The landscaped gardens are stunning, and there is a greenhouse and workshop.
The outdoor heated swimming pool is the perfect spot for relaxing and enjoying the views of the open countryside on a summer’s evening.
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 5 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 6 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 7 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
This property is on the market for €367,425; an amazing price for everything that it offers. I’m sold!
Property ID: 259080