Beaconsfield and Langres
On 25 November, the towns of Beaconsfield and Langres will celebrate 15 years of twinning. They each have a lot to offer.
Located in Haute Marne, Langres was already a town in Gallo-Roman times. Built on a rocky outcrop surrounded by ramparts dotted with towers and dominated by the towers of its cathedral it is visible from miles around. Because of its role as a Diocesan See there are many beautiful religious buildings which now are houses or offices. Two famous locals: Jeanne Mance who went to Montreal in its early days and the philosopher Didier Diderot.
In those days Beaconsfield was just a clearing in the woods but soon developed as an important stop on the road from London to Oxford. Langres had many convents, Beaconsfield many ale houses! Our famous locals are the poet Edmund Waller, who built Hall Barn, Edmund Burke and G K Chesterton.
Fast forward! Over 15 years many visits happened, between school children, committee members but some artistic events stand out: a concert in the Langres cathedral by the Beaconsfield High School, some painting exhibitions, a Buckinghamshire patchwork as part the of the exhibition " Clothes the Ramparts" and recently a very successful visit by Annik Coatalen and her dancing school. The Langrois were dazzled by our young dancers.
Beaconsfield has hosted shows of paintings and photos, two concerts by the Monteclair choir, led by Terry McNamara and both towns welcome each other in turn every year. The Cathedral of Langres and the Parish Church of Beaconsfield both celebrated their 8ooth anniversary this year.
By Chantal Weiss, Member of the Beaconsfield Twinning Association.
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 5 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 6 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn