My Dream Home: interview with an agent in the Alps
- Credit: Archant
Howard Watts of Alpine Property World explains why this two-bedroom chalet apartment, on the market for €320,000, gets his vote
Why does this property stand out for you?
It’s a superb apartment in all respects. A dual-aspect penthouse, it enjoys superb views of Switzerland across Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) and of the Memises mountains and ski slopes. Its interior has been subject to bespoke planning – there’s a lovely kitchen and traditional chalet-style sloping ceilings – and it’s been well furnished. The apartment is also ideally situated, 200m from the ski station, slopes and village centre.
Why is it a great buy?
The price includes all furnishings, a garage and a car parking space plus two caves for ski equipment and mountain bikes. Property prices in Thollon-les-Mémises are excellent value as the village is not well known outside the northern Alps – but it’s a jewel, and once seen not easily forgotten.
Who would it suit?
Anyone from their thirties to sixties who is active or simply loves the mountain air. Skiing is not compulsory as it’s so close to the lake for spring and summer activities such as sailing and windsurfing.
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 3 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 4 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 5 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 6 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 10 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
What is your favourite feature?
The views, without a doubt. It’s rare for a property to boast an outlook across both lake and piste, making for something particularly special to wake up to in the mornings. In fact, just leaving the apartment to make the most of all the activities on offer might be harder than you think!
What’s the immediate location like?
At an altitude of 1,000m, Thollon-les-Mémises is a unique small Alpine village with a family atmosphere on Lac Léman’s south side, almost straddling the Swiss border and 15 minutes’ drive from the famous spa town of Evian-les-Bains. It has its own ski resort with direct access to 50km of downhill skiing, 14 individual pistes and 18 lifts.
What’s the appeal of the wider area?
This includes many famous lakeside towns – Lausanne, Montreux, Vevey and Geneva to name a few, plus the famous ski circuits of the Portes du Soleil, Villars and Gstaad, the Chamonix valley and Verbier.
How easy is it to get to?
The resorts around Lac Léman are centrally located for the British, with straightforward access from the UK by car, train or plane. The apartment is 75 minutes’ drive from Geneva airport, the TGV and the A40 autoroute. There’s also easy access by beautiful steamer across the lake from Lausanne and the Swiss main line.