Restaurant review: Quite Simply French
Eve Middleton visits Quite Simply French in Lancaster...
Quite Simply French 27a St George's Quay, Lancaster LA1 1RD Tel: 01524 843199 www.quitesimplyfrench.co.uk Main courses from �10.95
Too often the search for good French food in UK restaurants can mean paying vast sums for haute cuisine. It is possible, however, to fill your plate with fresh and tasty Gallic cooking without emptying your wallet. Located in an old converted custom house by the side of the River Lune, Quite Simply French offers diners affordable dishes prepared with quality ingredients in a cosy candle-lit atmosphere. The double-height glass-fronted entrance leads to a ground floor setting with bare stone walls, large gilt frame mirrors and low lighting set in to thick wooden beams, while the mezzanine floor above affords a view out over the Lancashire waters.
I began with a glass of the house champagne and sampled a starter of six fresh oysters served with a sweet chilli dip and a traditional red wine and shallot dip (�6.95). Tangy and refreshing, they set the tone for an equally tasty main course of steamed fresh mussels in a white wine and garlic cream sauce (�5.95 for a starter portion, main portion on request). The hand-cut chips with parmesan shavings and truffle oil (�3.95) were intended for sharing, but were far too easy to finish solo. The caf� gourmand (�5.75), featuring three mini-desserts of fruit salad, cr�me br�l�e and ice-cream, ended the meal on a sweet note – those with a more savoury tooth will enjoy the Quite Simply French cheeseboard (�5.95).
- 1 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 2 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 3 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 4 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 5 Take a journey through France with the FRANCE Calendar 2022
- 6 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 7 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 8 Can I disinherit my children?
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 Aude: 6 alternative tourist spots in Cathar Country