Restaurant in France named best in the world
- Credit: Archant
Stars of the culinary world gathered for the unveiling of this year’s World’s 50 Best Restaurants
Outstanding achievements by restaurants around the world were celebrated at an awards ceremony announcing The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2019.
Mirazur, in Menton, Alpes-Maritime, was named the World's Best Restaurant, climbing to the top spot from number three last year.
It also won Best Restaurant in Europe with the double honours testament to chef Mauro Colagreco's love of local produce, most of which is grown in the restaurant's three-tiered garden just metres from the dining room, which enjoys a stunning French Riviera backdrop.
Mirazur's cuisine is inspired by three themes: Sea - fish and shellfish from local fishermen; Garden - vegetables from its garden and the market and Mountain - meat, poultry and dairy products from outlying farmers.
Italian-Argentine chef Mauro trained at the Lycée Hôtelier de La Rochelle and went on to train with French chefs Bernard Loiseau, Alain Passard, Alain Ducasse and Guy Martin. He opened Mirazur in 2006 and it won its first Michelin star a year later. It was awarded two stars in 2012 and three in 2019.
William Drew, Director of Content for The World's 50 Best Restaurants, said: "This year we are thrilled to see Mirazur claim the number one spot after rising through the ranks since making its debut on The World's 50 Best Restaurants list at number 35 in 2009: it's been brilliant to witness its progress."
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 7 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 8 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
Other French restaurants on the list include Arpège in Paris at number eight; Septime in Paris at number 15; Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée in Paris at number 16 and Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen at number 25.
Alain Passard of Arpège was also voted by his peers as the winner of the Chefs' Choice Award. The prestigious accolade is voted by the world's leading chefs and awarded to a peer who has made a significant impact to the culinary world in the past year.
The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2019 includes establishments from 26 countries with Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark at number two and Asador Etxebarri in Atxondo, Spain at number three. British restaurants to make the list include London's The Clove Club at number 27 and Lyle's at number 33.
For the full list, visit www.theworlds50best.com