Hotel review: Les Vieux Murs
- Credit: Archant
Head for the caves in the hills of Provence
Space is at a premium in the ancient Provençal hilltop village of Montfort in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence. For the locals living in the honey-coloured stone houses that crowd the summit, digging a cave out of the rocky cliffs that protect the town was the natural thing to do.
Such caves remain ideal for keeping oil cool and wines fresh, but at the chambre d’hôte Les Vieux Murs, those below the main house have been converted into quirky rooms that offer guests a refuge from the summer sun.
Les Vieux Murs is tucked down a narrow lane and you have to park elsewhere in the village and walk the rest of the way. My room lay off a private courtyard that contained a small but adequate pool, two sun loungers and a garden table at which to sip an aperitif or have breakfast.
From the outside, all seemed normal, but going inside I found a comfortable, domed sitting room that had been hewn from the rock. Following the curved walls led to a bathroom where the Flintstones would have felt at home. Standing under the shower it felt as if I were washing in a buried spring.
The bedroom area was accessed by what could only be described as a hole in the floor and it was a good idea to remember exactly where it lay. Stone steps led to another domed cave even larger than the living area, where everything seemed almost prehistorically oversized with a huge bed, massive pillows and deep soft towels.
If the prehistoric life appeals after a stay at Les Vieux Murs, the fossil groves of the geological reserve around Dignes-les-Bains are within easy reach.
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 10 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
Les Vieux Murs
Tel (Fr) 4 88 16 60 27