Dormez Bien: Les Petites Vosges, Bagnères-de-Bigorre
Enjoy a stay with an artistic flair in the once fashionable spa town of Bagnères-de-Bigorre in Hautes-Pyrénées
Bagnères-de-Bigorre was once a fashionable spa resort that thrived at the turn of the 20th century when bathing in its thermal waters was in vogue. Curistes would stay in formal hotels and spend the afternoons promenading on the Allées des Coustous.
Times have changed but the appeal of the thermal springs remains and today’s visitors include walkers and skiers, who come to Bagnères to soothe their aches in the new, cathedral-like Aquensis spa.
Catching the wave of interest that Aquensis has attracted is the chambre d’hôte Les Petits Vosges. With its deep-red walls, bold green shutters and climbing roses, Les Petits Vosges is a local landmark. The brave colour statement is the work of owner Chantal Estela-Lacène, whose artistic flair also gives the interior its personality.
The residents’ lounge, the salon de thé and breakfasting room and the four bedrooms have been tastefully decorated with bric¬a¬brac salvaged from schools and dressmakers.
Some would consider this approach has become passé, but Chantal carries it off well, helped in part by a building that, in occupying an awkward corner site, is made up of many quirky dimensions.
My room, named after the Columbian artist Fernando Botero, was on the first and second floors. The first floor had a large and unusually shaped bedroom with at least two aspects. Up another flight of stairs and tucked into the roof space was a cosy snug in which to nap or read.
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 7 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 8 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
Despite its corner position near the town centre, there is a surprising amount of outdoor space, with a terrace either side of the front door and a south-facing one on the roof.
Les Petites Vosges
17 Boulevard Carnot
Tel: (Fr) 5 62 91 55 30 www.lespetitesvosges.com