TV5MONDE mark 20th anniversary of Berlin wall fall
To mark the 20 year anniverary of the fall of the Berlin wall (9 November 1989), TV5MONDE is putting together a special one-off unedited series of programmes to be presented by Philippe Dessaint, of documentary and magazine fame.
To mark the 20 year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall (9 November 1989), TV5MONDE is putting together a special one-off unedited series of programmes to be presented by Philippe Dessaint, of documentary and magazine fame. The TV5MONDE news team are also involved and will be covering in full this event. The programmes will offer differing perspectives on this event that marked the beginning of a new world order.
A weekend of interviews, witness accounts, documetaries and more starting with l’Affaire Farewell on Sat at 1pm an account of the Wests’ most notorious KGB spy and how he contributed to the fall of the wall. Then don’t miss the 100 min long special 1989: quand tombent les murs / 1989: When the walls fell on Sunday at 8pm (following an interview with Mikha�l Gorbatchev at 6pm!) looking in detail at how the fall of the wall lead to the bringing down of the Iron Curtain, Also covered will be the consequences of the fall of the Berlin wall for the German capital, and interviews with key figures.
Programme schedule for the UK;
Saturday 7th November:
- 13:00 : L’affaire Farewell 1/2 and 2/2 (2x52 mins)
- 17:30 : Un mur � Berlin (110 mins)
- 1 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 2 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 5 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 6 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 9 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
Sunday 8th November:
- 13:00 : Les derni�res heures du mur (90 mins)
- 18:00 : Mikha�l Gorbatchev, rencontre avec celui qui a chang� le monde (52mins)
- 20:00 : Special programme “1989, quand tombent les murs.. “ (100 mins)
- 23:00 : D’un mur l’autre (90 mins)
Monday 9th November:
- 11:30 : Babelsberg d’Est en Ouest (52mins)
TV5MONDE has created a mini-site dedicated to the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, online from 15 October 2009 with masses of online content:
- An animated chronological frieze: "1989 ou le basculement du monde en 25 dates" / “1989 or the dramatic change of the world in 25 dates" with explanatory texts, historic photos and archive videos
- Exclusive accounts from key figures who talk of what the fall of the Berlin Wall meant for them: Enki Bilal, Rama Yade, Patrick Poivre d’Arvor, Patricia Kaas, Richard Bohringer, Alain Jupp�, Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Alain Krivine et Bruno Lemaire.
- The reports broadcast in the special programme “1989, quand les murs tombent…” / “1989 when the walls fell...”
- A historical profile of the important events that lead to the fall of the Berlin Wall.
- Videos following the same theme, like "The Leo family" (a 15 minute magazine programme produced in 1999 for the 10 year anniversary of the fall of the wall), and an interview with the writer Georges Marion...
- A quiz to test your knowledge on the fall of the wall
- A competition game
TV5MONDE is one of the three largest worldwide TV networks alongside CNN and MTV
• 9 different signals (of which 8 are broadcast from Paris covering all continents and TV5 Qu�bec Canada broadcast from Montreal to the Canadian territory)
• 207 million homes watching in over 200 countries and territories
• 55 million unique viewers each week (average audience)
• 10 French language partner channels, (France 2, France 3, France 4, France 5, France O’, ARTE France, RTBF, TSR, Radio Canada, T�l�-Qu�bec), CIRTEF, and a principal shareholder, the Holding of l’Audiovisuel Ext�rieur de la France that also incorporates France 24 and RFI
• 9 subtitle languages (English, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, German, Romanian, and French)