Move abroad, have an affair, get a tattoo: the wishlist of British over-55s
- Credit: Getty Images
No wonder so many people retire early to France. Moving abroad and learning a foreign language are among the top wishes for fiftysomething Brits, a survey has found
Bin the pipes and slippers! Today’s fiftysomethings are apparently an adventurous and active bunch who are eager to downsize and see more of the world.
In a poll of 2,000 adults aged 55, the number one life goal was to travel more, while learning a foreign language ranked third, moving abroad ranked sixth and downsizing seventh.
With its affordable property and gourmet cuisine, France would seem the obvious destination for these go-getters, given that paying off the mortgage and eating in a Michelin-star restaurant are also among their top 10 ambitions.
More than half of those who took part in the survey said they were confident they would achieve their goals, which also included learning to play the guitar, skydiving and getting a tattoo. Overall, more than eight in 10 respondents in the poll, conducted by OnePoll.com, said they felt happy and younger than their age, with three-quarters saying it was important to have aims in life.
Among the other goals to make the top 30 wishlist were getting a six-pack, getting divorced, having an affair, remarrying and trying online dating – though not necessarily in that order. Maybe these respondents should pick up a pad in Paris. After all it is the City of Love. Oh là là!
Top 30 life goals
- 1 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 2 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 3 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 4 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 5 Take a journey through France with the FRANCE Calendar 2022
- 6 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 7 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 8 Can I disinherit my children?
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 Aude: 6 alternative tourist spots in Cathar Country
1. Travel more
2. Visit Australia
3. Learn a foreign language
5. Drive along Route 66 in America
6. Move abroad
7. Downsize my home
8. Go to more gigs and concerts
9. Pay off the mortgage
10. Eat in a Michelin-star restaurant
11. Volunteer for a charity
12. Buy a sports car
13. Take up painting
14. Learn to play guitar
15. Learn to swim
16. Get a personal trainer
17. Have liposuction or a tummy tuck
18. Get a degree
19. Climb a mountain
20. Get a six-pack
21. Start dating again
22. Do a skydive
23. Run a marathon
24. Have an affair
25. Get a tattoo
26. Buy a motorbike
27. Get remarried
28. Get my kids to move out
29. Get a divorce
30. Try online dating
Enjoyed this? You may also like: