You have to visit the fairy-tale village of Conques!
- Credit: Archant
Overlooking a gorge in Aveyron, the medieval village of Conques has to be seen to be believed...
Go off the beaten track and you’ll find lots of cute cobbled streets lined with charming village houses.
The amazing abbey
L’Abbaye St Foy was founded in 819AD and is still the central point of Conques. Many pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago stay in the abbey’s monastery.
Where the locals live
There are 90 residents living in Conques, many in these lovely half-timbered houses.
- 1 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 2 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 3 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 4 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 5 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 6 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 7 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 10 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
Make sure you see Conques from afar
Nestled in a slope above the River Dourdou, Conques is cocooned by forest and a lush green valley below which makes for a stunning views from afar.
With colourful flowers blooming from every nook and cranny, even the doorways in Conques are every Instagrammer’s dream.
Rumour has it that Conques was the inspiration for Disney’s new adaption of Beauty and the Beast, which isn’t really surprising. It looks too good to be true!
Even the cats approve
No French village would be complete without a cute kitty!
Conques has always had a strong crafting tradition and you will find lots of shops selling lovely handmade items.
With such friendly locals, you’ll always find someone to show you around the village, like Father Jean-Daniel.
What’s the rush? In Conques, people like to take it easy so stop and sit and admire the view.
Stay the night
Stop and smell the roses at Alice and Charles’s chambres d’hôte or better still, book yourself in and stay the night!
Even the ice cream stall looks like it is from a bygone time.
Camino de Santiago
The village welcomes over 30,000 pilgrims a year and the Camino de Santiago is a big part of Conques’s identity.
Conques is timeless
Sometimes it seems like you have travelled back hundreds of years ago!
Take in the view
Every way you look, there is a different view of the gorges to take in
We want to live here!
Villagers’ homes look like something out of a fairy tale!
Other articles you might like: