WIN! French film I Got Life! on DVD
- Credit: Archant
Enter our competition for the chance to win the French film I Got Life! on DVD
I Got Life! (Aurore)
Starring: Agnès Jaoui, Thibault de Montalembert
Director: Blandine Lenoir
Running time: 89 minutes
Language: French with English subtitles
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 3 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 4 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 5 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 6 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 10 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
Release date: 2 July
Films do not come much more timely than I Got Life! (original title Aurore). Covering issues that occupy the front pages and social media across the world at the moment – sexual harassment, sexism in the workplace, ageism – Blandine Lenoir’s comedy/drama is an inspirational, insightful tale about the obstacles middle-aged women are forced to overcome.
Separated from her husband, Aurore (Jaoui) is a mother of two in her fifties who is finding it hard to cope with the hot flushes that come with the menopause. Not helping her stress levels is the fact that she is about to become a grandmother and that the boss at the restaurant where she works is a creepy and stupid misogynist who changes the names of his female staff to make them sound sexier.
Respite arrives in the form of Christophe (De Montalembert), an old flame she bumps into one day and for whom Aurore clearly still has feelings. Will he forgive her for breaking his heart all those years ago, though?
Funny, touching and sharply observed, I Got Life! is a first-rate film about second chances in life. Despite its light touch, there is bite to the storyline as Lenoir exposes gender inequality in France and prejudices women encounter later in life. Jaoui is magnificent as the increasingly exasperated Aurore, handling comedic moments and dramatic scenes with equal aplomb.
True, it’s not always the most subtle piece of work but, I Got Life! is a wonderful celebration of female resilience and solidarity.
We have two copies of I Got Life! on DVD to give away! To enter fill in the form below. Competition closes on 6 July.