The October issue of FRANCE Magazine is out now!
- Credit: Archant
In the October 2016 issue of FRANCE Magazine, we offer great ideas for a Normandy getaway, go in search of the amazing wildlife in the Champagne region, learn all about prehistoric remains in the Charente and reveal our favourite places to stay in the Alps
1066 and all that
It is 950 years since the Battle of Normandy took place, and to mark this anniversary Carolyn Boyd travels to the region to sample some of its many delights. From cider tasting in the orchards of the Pays d’Auge and to a guided tour of the museum housing the famous Bayeux tapestry and a visit to the architecturally interesting city of Le Havre, Carolyn shows us that there are many different sides to this northern part of l’hexagone.
Cranes in Champagne
Mark Stratton heads to the land of fizz for an altogether different experience: the migrating birds. The veteran explorer goes in search of the many types of birds who arrive here in search of slightly warmer weather in the winter months. One species that has set up home here are cranes, whose general behaviour and feeding habits make for a spectacular sight.
Where to stay in… the Alps
This month we visit the breathtakingly beautiful French Alps to find you the very best accommodation. Our line-up of great places to stay includes everything from attractive mountain chambre d’hôtes to family-sized ski chalets and plush mountain retreats that that are perfect for summer and winter getaways.
- 1 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 2 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 5 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 6 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
Dinosaurs in Charente
Writer and photographer Rudolf Abraham ventures to Angoulême in the Charente département, the town famous for its annual comic book strip festival. But for their next event they are drawing on something quite unique in the local area: prehistoric remains. This picture-postcard area of France is actually home to one of the richest dinosaur fossil deposits in the country and offers both the festival organisers and Rudolf a whole new perspective on this tranquil corner of western France.
Plus, we go skiing in the Haute-Maurienne, suss out the best places to eat in the Vaucluse and chat to comedian Jon Culshaw about his love of France. Buy the October 2016 issue of FRANCE Magazine here.
Don’t miss our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door each month!