The March 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine is out now!
- Credit: Archant
In the March 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine, we explore the secret side of Corsica, experience the cutting-edge Lascaux cave in Dordogne and cruise in style on the waterways of Bordeaux
Get to the heart of Corsica
Nicknamed the ‘Île de la beauté’, Corsica for many is all about sun-kissed beaches and powder blue skies, but Rachel Johnston finds a different side to this Mediterranean gem. On her whirlwind tour Rachel passes through sleepy hilltop hideaways such as Sant’Antonino – the oldest inhabited village on the island and a Plus beau Village de France – past rugged mountain landscapes that form the backdrop for a number of walking trails including the famous GR20, and samples mouth-watering dishes that blend French and Italian flavours.
Explore the newly opened Lascaux 4
FRANCE Magazine staff writer Peter Stewart travels to Montignac, Dordogne, to experience the brand new visitor centre for prehistoric cave art known as ‘Lascaux 4’. Peter is treated to a guided tour from top to bottom, with stop-offs in reconstructed caves replete with mesmerising Palaeolithic artworks including fighting ibex, bulls and bison, and the state-of-the-art workshops where full-blown replica paintings are suspending on purpose-built casts. Other highlights of Peter’s tour include a 3D film exploring cave art through the ages and an interactive gallery where visitors can create their own virtual collection of artwork.
Where to stay for… an offbeat holiday
This month we bring you places to stay that are decidedly quirky. Whether you want to stay in a wine barrel-shaped B&B in Gironde, or prefer a couple of nights in a tree house in the grounds of a château, we show you the best places to experience something out of the ordinary.
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 3 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 4 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
Cruising in Bordeaux
Travel addict Colin Nicholson takes to the water in and around Bordeaux for a trip through some of the world’s most famous vineyards. Colin’s one-week trip on board the luxury ship AmaDolce takes him from impressive château to impressive château, sampling the best vintages of the many Bordeaux appellations and snapping plenty of picture-perfect shots along the way.
Plus, we tour the Côte d’Argent by campervan, learn about the history of the cross channel swim and suss out some great dining spots in Auvergne
Buy the March 2017 issue of FRANCE Magazine here.