The December 2016 issue of FRANCE Magazine is out now!
In the latest issue of FRANCE Magazine we explore the fascinating Burgundy wine capital of Beaune, savour the coastal cuisine in beautiful Occitanie, suss out top places to stay for art-lovers and pick the best Christmas gifts for Francophiles
Former FRANCE Magazine editor Carolyn Boyd ventures to the beautiful Côte d’Or in northern Burgundy, famous for its Grand Cru wines. In the countryside surrounding Beaune, a quaint town famous for its exquisite Hôtel-Dieu almshouse, Carolyn learns how wine-making a serious and complex process here as there are some 1,247 different types of soil, each one with a different taste and name of wine. Her trip culminates in the all-important tastings which leave her far from disappointed.
Where to stay for art lovers
This month’s accommodation is all about great places to stay in France for art lovers. Whether it’s a cosy townhouse just a stone’s throw from the Côte d’Azur or an art-deco bolthole in Paris, we select the best places to soak up art in France.
Taste of the coast
The region of Occitanie is home to many flavours and culinary traditions as Sophie Gardner-Roberts found out on a foodie trip to this charming part of the south of France. Among the region’s many culinary delights are oysters, a food that you either love or hate and one that Sophie tried for the first time on her trip. Sophie’s article also features visits to wine-producing villages along the Côte Vermeille near the Spanish border and Marseillan, home to the Noilly Prat distillery which produces the famous vermouth aperitif.
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 5 French property articles you won’t want to miss
- 3 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 6 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 9 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
Discover how to make your money go further in this feature from ski expert Daniel Elkan. As everyone will know, in order to go on a ski trip there are a number of expensive items to purchase beforehand, but as Daniel Elkan highlights, there are numerous ways – from choosing a smaller ski resort to going away with a large group of skiers - to ensure your holiday doesn’t break the bank and that you still have lots of fun.
Plus, we explore the Riviera gem that is the town of Valbonne, consider the life and work of acclaimed sculptor Auguste Rodin, uncover the best restaurants in Tarn and drive Normandy’s scenic Côte Fleurie.