Spacious farmhouse in Charente-Maritime
- Credit: Archant
This spacious farmhouse in Charente-Maritime is Stephanie Sheldrake’s favourite French property for sale
I’ve always loved the south-west of France, ever since my family holidays there when I was a teenager. Charente-Maritime is a favourite department of mine, with its sunny, dry climate, good beaches and interesting towns, so when I saw this four-bedroom farmhouse for sale, I immediately started dreaming of a new life there.
The property is in good condition and is situated within walking distance of the village of La Clotte, with its pharmacy, post office and English-speaking doctor. In terms of location, it’s within an hour’s drive of Bergerac and Bordeaux (both with airports) as well as being an hour’s drive away from the Atlantic coast’s sandy beaches.
Inside is a large entrance hall, fitted kitchen-diner, lounge with wood-burning stove, veranda with views over the garden, large utility room and rear porch. The rooms are light, bright and spacious – all essential qualities of my dream home.
The master bedroom has an adjacent bathroom, while the other three bedrooms are fitted with hand basins, and share a family bathroom, separate toilet, plus an additional shower.
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 3 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
Attached to the property is a two-bedroom cottage which, with some modernisation, would make a lovely gîte with the potential for additional income.
One of the big attractions of this property is the outside space. There are five acres of land with mature gardens, as well as woodland, and land for grazing animals. There is a large barn with two loose boxes for stabling, a tack room and hay storage, perfect for those who want to keep horses. Further smaller outbuildings could be used for storage and a separate summer house or art studio overlooking the gardens and pond.
The property is surrounded by miles of off-road tracks for cycling, walking or horse-riding – ideal for recreating memories of those teenage family holidays.