Salthill Gardens, Mount Charles, Donegal, Co. Donegal
Tel: +353 (0)7497 35397
This one acre walled garden in Donegal, Ireland, is magnificent to visit, as it shows what can be done in a difficult spot for gardening – 200 yards from the sea! It is a contemporary garden with a good selection of perennials and shrubs, since the Gardener, Elizabeth Temple, is a plantaholic. Group tours are welcome.
Head Gardener’s tip:
Wind can be devastating. Planting trees in the field outside the walls here helps to diffuse the strength of the gales. Sheep wire bent into various shapes and placed over perennials, and elastic supports to move with the wind are a couple of the hidden structures I use.
- 1 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 2 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 5 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 6 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000