Property pick: Loire Valley farmhouse
- Credit: Archant
Our property pick this week is this charming farmhouse in the Loire Valley, full of original features and with three troglodyte homes in the garden
It has always been a dream of mine to buy an old characterful ruin packed with original features and transform it into a stylish home. However, although I am an avid fan of home renovation programmes, my DIY skills are mainly limited to flat-pack furniture and painting. With that in mind, this beautiful stone farmhouse would be the ideal compromise, as all the hard work has already been done for me!
Originally built more than a hundred years ago, the house and attached barn were completely restored between 2004 and 2009 with the original features preserved, including exposed stone walls, beams, tiled floors and an oak staircase. Though an historic property in itself, the house occupies the site of a much older settlement. The grounds even have three troglodyte homes with fireplaces – imagine the possibilities!
The house offers four bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen, a dining room, sitting room and a study, and there is also an attached barn with four double bedrooms, a living area and a kitchen, ideal for use as a self-contained gîte. The location would certainly be popular with holidaymakers; the property is in a quiet spot above the village of Seuilly and only 10 minutes from Chinon in the eternally popular Loire Valley.
The Château du Coudray Montpensier is nearby and can be seen from the house. As if this wasn’t enough, there is also a beautiful garden and a hectare of land, half of which is planted with vines to produce your own Loire Valley wine, all for the sum of £510,000. I’ll drink to that!
- 1 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 2 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 3 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 4 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 5 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 6 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 7 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000