13 discoveries about life in France from Living France’s September issue
- Credit: Archant
In the September 2019 issue of Living France we explore Hautes-Pyrénées, celebrate grape harvest season with a look at Burgundy and Alsace and a round up of homes with vineyard views, plus we have expert insight into renting and education in France
1. The Hautes-Pyrénées is a natural adventure playground with year-round outdoor attractions
We explore the exhilarating Hautes-Pyrénées, its scenery, spas and ski resorts, and get an agent and local expats' perspectives on the department.
2. Renting a property in France can be a good way to dip a toe in the water before buying
We have a breakdown of the rental process including documents needed to rent, tenant responsibilities and types of leases.
3. France is British expat's favourite destination
That's according to the latest HSBC explorer survey. We have our monthly roundup of news and events around France.
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 3 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 4 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 5 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 6 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 7 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 8 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 Allo Allo! Brits in France
4. There are 28,841 hectares of vineyards in Burgundy
The end of summer means vendange time in France and two areas that will busy harvesting grapes for their wines are Alsace and Burgundy. We take a tour.
5. In French primary schools, there is no school on Wednesdays
Our LF guide this month focuses on exams and schooling in France including changes to the baccalauréat.
6. C'est pour ma pomme means it's my treat
This month's language pages discuss phrases relating to the French word pomme, plus we have a movie title game as well as our regular crossword.
7. Builders in France have to provide a 10-year guarantee
Meet Andrew Nadin and his wife Jo who run a successful renovation company in Gers.
8. All crémant undergoes a secondary fermentation in bottle
Wine expert, Richard Hemming answers a reader question on sparkling wine
9. Some great expat businesses are based around recycled materials
Hear from three women who are doing their bit for the environment with businesses producing ceramic jewellery, bags and beeswax food wraps.
10. Treehouses are not just for children
Andy and Natalie Solomon have created a unique woodland retreat including treehouse accommodation complete with hot tub.
11. The Mandat de Protection Future is the French equivalent to Lasting Power of Attorney in the UK
Learn about the legalities of power of attorney for those with a French home and other assets in France.
12. It is worth haggling at French car boot sales
Amy Jones discusses her experience of brocantes and vide-greniers.
13. September is a good time to lay netting over ponds
Sue Bradley has her monthly list of things to do in the garden and discusses the Clematis 'Comtesse de Bouchaud'.
If you want to read and learn more about life in France you can buy the September 2019 issue of Living France here.
Or, you can take out our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!