France tops the charts
France is the most popular overseas destination for British expatriates, according to new research from Halifax International.
Some 16% of British expatriates are currently living in France, compared to just 10% in Spain. Almost two-thirds of British expats living in France are over 55, while those aged 30-44 comprise just 9% of the total.
James Gairdner, marketing and product director at Halifax International, said:
"European countries are popular amongst British expatriates living abroad, with France topping the polls, followed by Spain.
"Living, working or retiring abroad can mean a whole set of lifestyle changes, including an impact upon your financial affairs. Expatriates have different financial requirements and when moving abroad it is important to have the right products and services in place."
Commenting on this latest news, FPN editor Karen Tait said: " The results of this survey reflect what we always knew - that France is the ideal destination for anyone considering a new life abroad, whether for retirement or as a new start for the whole family - not only does it offer a wonderful way of life, with more sunshine than we're used to in the UK, it's also just across the Channel from Britain, making it easily accessible for trips back and forth. Expats in France rarely feel isolated - if anything, they complain about being inundated with family and friends, all eager to visit them in their new French home!"
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 5 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 6 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn