Farmland in France increasingly attractive
French farmland represents great value, says property expert
As the price of UK farmland continues to rocket, agricultural land in France is becoming an increasingly attractive option.
The average value of UK agricultural land is now �15,182.50 a hectare, which works out at more than €18,800 per hectare.
“Compare this to agricultural land here in France,” says Trevor Leggett of Leggett Immobilier. “SAFER figures show that untenanted farmland cost an average of €5,430 per hectare last year – that’s almost a third of the price in the UK.”
Trevor goes on to point out that the picture for those wanting to buy farmland in the UK is a worsening one: “This year has seen the price of UK farmland rise yet again (0.4% in the first three months) and the research team at Knight Frank has just announced that they are expecting further rises throughout the year. This means that in one of the toughest economic times for centuries farmers are having to pay record amounts for the land they need.
“I saw a farmer quoted recently as saying that farmland is a ‘safe haven’ and that ‘the world’s population is growing and that people will always need more food’. Add in the fact that it is also tax efficient and underpinned by EU subsidies and it’s no wonder that farmland is an attractive choice for investors – I simply believe that it’s even more attractive in France. The price of English farmland has rocketed by more than 10,000% in the last 60 years and France certainly gives farmers a cheaper (and sunnier) option!”
For more information visit www.frenchestateagents.com
- 1 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 2 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 3 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 6 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 9 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 10 3 key things you need to know about visas for France