Cycle around rural France
- Credit: Archant
Discover the beautiful landscapes and fine food and wine of rural France on a cycling holiday with Freewheel Holidays
Freewheel Holidays is a cycling travel company with a focus on the delights of rural France – beautiful landscapes, appealing small towns and villages and with an emphasis on good living: food, wine, enticing country markets and cultural treasures. Stay in hotels full of character or even on-board a boat if you choose our bike and barge holidays where you stay on the boat and then cycle following the route that is laid out for you. If you are interested in certain French themes such as wine or cheese then why not enjoy a cycle ride that takes in many of these specialties?
Tel: 0161 703 5823
Special offer: receive a free case of wine when you book one of our French cycling holidays and quote the code FM16WN before 31/5/16 (applies to new bookings only and cannot be combined with any other offer).
Here are some of our cycling holiday options:
Alsace has been in both French and German ownership in its history and has changed hands many times over the generations. This gives the region a unique history and character compared to other parts of France. You will discover all of the history of the region and more on a cycling holiday through the attractive wine vineyards, Alsatian foothills and timber-framed houses built in the local style.
The larger towns of Strasbourg and Colmar are well worth detailed exploration. Large pedestrianised areas with historic buildings and enticing restaurants and shops will welcome you. Strasbourg, your start and finish point, is a cycling-friendly city easily accessed from the UK and is a major hub for European affairs.
8 days from only £579 per person – find out more here
The Loire Valley, also known as the ‘garden of France’, is a charming land of vineyards, flowers and rolling green hills, which will enchant you with its more than two hundred castles and luxuriant natural landscapes.
- 1 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 2 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 3 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 9 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
It will be like riding in a fairy tale, in a picturesque countryside dotted with romantic châteaux, providing regular interludes to the cycling. While you marvel at this medieval splendour, don’t forget to try the region’s sumptuous cuisine and famous wines, for a true royal holiday experience. This cycling holiday travels from the historic city of Orléans and mainly follows the Loire Valley Cycle Path towards Saumur along the riverside paths. This is a fairly easy holiday, but stops off at places where you can enjoy the surroundings and relax, especially in Tours with its medieval quarter and gothic cathedral.
8 days from only £589 per person – find out more here