Where to watch the stars of the jazz world in France
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Brilliant jazz festivals are taking place all over France and this is where to catch them
Music fans can look forward to a packed schedule of events when the popular Jazz Au Fil de L’Oise returns later this year.
Held between November 9 and December 16, the event attracts the great and the good of the jazz world to the Oise department in northern France. Events are spread out across the region with more than 20 different venues set to host shows this year.
To whet the appetite for the main event to come, guest artist Joce Mienniel will present an introduction on Saturday, October 6 in Pontoise.
When Jazz Au Fil de L’Oise gets underway, the busy schedule ensures that there is something to suit all tastes and with a show on almost a daily basis, this event promises to be a real treat.
Jazz fans can watch Shahin Novrasli in Bezons, Lou Tavano in Marines, Youn Sun Nah in Beaumont-Sur-Oise and Edouard Ferlet in Osny to name but a few.
The festival draws to a close on the weekend of December 15-16 with La Grande Table bringing down the curtain at the wonderful Abbaye du Royaumont.
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 5 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 6 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 9 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
For those who are unable to reach Oise for the festival, there are plenty of other events for the discerning jazz fan all over France.
Nancy Jazz Pulsations sees more than 100,000 music lovers descend on Nancy in north eastern France to enjoy performances from global artists across several city venues. This year’s event takes place from October 10-20 and to find out more go to nancyjazzpulsations.com
For jazz lovers on the western coast, La Rochelle is the destination of choice when Jazz Entrée Les Deux Tours takes place between October 3-6. The name comes from the two medieval towers that guard the entrance to the old port. This year’s event promises much as it is the 20th anniversary and there will be tributes to its late artistic director Didier Lockwood, who died earlier this year. For details go to jazzentrelesdeuxtours.fr
Moving south across the country, the bustling port of Marseille also gets in on the act, with Jazz Sur La Ville between November 5 – December 2. A large-scale event sees more than 250 performers in 35 venues in the city and its surrounding towns such as Aix-en-Provence, Avignon and Martigues. Visit jazzsurlaville.fr for more.
The Tourcoing Jazz Festival takes place just 12 kilometres from Gare de Lille Europe, making it a reachable destination for British jazz fans. This event is for those who like their jazz innovative and eclectic and is held between October 13-20. Find out this year’s schedule at tourcoing-jazz-festival.com