Back to school in France 2019
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A new school year is about to start. What does the French rentrée bring this year? And when are the next school holiday dates?
The 2019 rentrée will see a large scale restructuring of schools in rural areas with many smaller écoles having closed in favour of grouping students into bigger, more modern schools that cover larger catchment areas.
Back to school essentials
The French Education Ministry has once again produced a back to schools essentials list. The ministry has said that the list was put together with three priorities in mind: A reasonable budget for all families, keeping the schoolbag light, including durable and recyclable products. The list includes four pens in red, green, blue and black, five tubes of paint, a compass, a rubber and plastic for covering books.
Following the successful trialling of free breakfasts for disadvantaged pupils at eight primary schools across France, the scheme will be rolled out across the country, including overseas territories, from September and is expected to benefit around 100,000 primary school children.
- 1 Complete France Advent Calendar Competition 2021
- 2 What Covid tests and paperwork do I need for travel to France?
- 3 A guide to the Brittany town of Morlaix
- 4 Stephen Clarke: Why I can’t celebrate Christmas like the French do
- 5 5 ways to integrate into your new community in France
- 6 Travel vloggers visit ‘elegant and charming’ Nice in the South of France
- 7 How to find a dream home in France without leaving your sofa
- 8 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 9 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 10 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
The Institut d'Études Politiques de Paris, also known as Sciences Po, a political university attended by six French presidents, including Emmanuel Macron, recently announced it will scrap its written entrance exam, starting in 2021, in order to attract students from more diverse backgrounds.
More French education
There will be 524 novels, including 336 French novels and 188 foreigners pulished between mid-August and the end of October, according to the data established by Livres Hebdo, as part of the annual rentrée littéraire which coincides with the return to school,
As promised. The next school holiday will commence 20 October for all school zones in France. See below for the full school holiday dates schedule or download the calendar here.