What’s the role of the Maire? Which DIY pitfalls do I need to look out for? How can I rent my property all year round? The answers are all in the April issue of French Property News, out now!
1. If you’re dreaming of the good life in France and want to keep a few chickens, pigs, sheep or goats, read Assistant Editor Ruth’s guide to setting up a French smallholding, on page 24.
2. Buying your first ever property is a huge milestone and for some in the UK it’s just not an option. Find about about some bold Brits who made the jump straight onto the French property ladder instead, on page 28.
3. From managing the local budget to approving building plans, to keeping the social heart of the town beating – Maires have many roles you may not have considered, and it pays to familiarise yourself with your local mairie. Read more on page 36.
4. Swapping life in London for a career as a chef and estate agent in rural Brittany might seem a little unconventional, but Peter Innes has never looked back. Discover how he made the change on page 48.
5. Having surveyed scores of badly renovated homes in France, this Chartered Surveyor has some no-holds-barred advice for budding DIYers. he reveals all on page 54.
6. Looking for a French property you can come back to in any season and enjoy healthy rental returns too? Turn to page 58 for some expert advice.
7. With characterful towns, small villages and undulating countryside, the Dordogne valley in the department of Corrèze is a charming place to call home, as we discover on page 66.
8. Are you all at sixes and sevens over French mortgages? Take five minutes to read out handy and accessible guide, on page 80.
If you want to read and learn more about buying property in France you can buy the April issue of French Property News here
Or, you can take out our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!
On the cover: a Charentaise manor house with two guest cottages, for sale with Beaux Villages.