Recipe: salade niçoise
- Credit: Archant
Can’t make it to Nice this summer? Console yourself by making this traditional dish from the French Riviera’s capital
Order a salade niçoise at any restaurant in Nice and you might be surprised at the contents of your plate. If it is made correctly, you won’t find any potatoes or green beans. Instead you might find raw artichokes, broad beans, radishes and celery, like this version from Rosa Jackson that makes a perfect, light dinner for those warm summer evenings.
3 free-range eggs
a pinch of baking soda
½ tsp of salt
6 medium tomatoes
4 spring onions
- 1 7 reasons to live in Tarn-et-Garonne
- 2 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 3 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 4 James Bond: How France shaped 007’s adventures
- 5 French Property News October book competition: Win a copy of Presidential Residences in France by Adrien Goetz
- 6 Our next free webinar on French property and living in France is on 6 October
- 7 Stephen Clarke: Lost in translation?
- 8 Heart of town: Lovely French properties for sale in popular town centre locations
- 9 France at Home: 7 websites that bring France to the UK
- 10 Christo and Jeanne-Claude’s L’Arc de Triomphe, Wrapped to transform Paris landmark
2 long green ‘salad’ peppers (optional)
2-4 celery stalks (depending on how many other vegetables you are using)
6oz shelled broad beans (if available)
3 small artichokes (if available)
1 lemon (if using artichokes)
1 garlic clove
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
7-8 tbsp excellent olive oil
A sprinkling of red wine vinegar
12 anchovy fillets
6 tuna fillets in oil (from a jar)
4oz niçoise olives
a handful of basil leaves
Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water with the baking soda (to help detach the shell) and salt (for flavour), and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and wait 10 minutes, then cool the eggs in cold water.
Cut the tomatoes into segments, place on a rack over a plate and sprinkle with fine seat salt. Set aside while you prepare the other vegetables.
Wash and dry all the remaining vegetables and slice the spring onions, peppers, celery and radishes very thinly.
To prepare the artichokes, trim 1in off the top and leave about 1in of stem. Remove several layers of leaves, starting at the bottom, until the leaves are pale yellow/pink. Peel the stem, cut the artichoke in half and remove any hairy choke. Slice very thinly lengthwise and immediately place in a bowl of water with the juice of a lemon.
Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them into quarters.
Cut the garlic clove in half and rub a large platter with the cut side.
Arrange the tomatoes on the platter, and then top with the other vegetables. Season with fine sea salt and pepper, drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with the wine vinegar. Finish with the anchovies, tuna, eggs, olives and basil.
Like this article? Find more recipes: