Expat Budget Planning: The Cost of Living in France
- Credit: Archant
When people think of France, they usually think about the Eiffel Tower, about the beautiful Côte d’Azur, and about the romantic beaches of Brittany. Others might let their mind wander to the famous French cuisine, complete with different cheeses, baguette, and sea food, not to mention the wine. But before you can become one of the many expats starting a new life in France, you need to get an overview of the cost of living in your future host country.
When you are planning your move to France, you need to keep in mind that the monthly rent might end up absorbing one third to half of your monthly income if you live in a particularly posh, urban area. Thus, a three-bedroom-apartment can cost you anything between 750€ and 1,800€ depending on where you decide to settle down. Of course, utilities make up another portion of the usual housing costs. These are comparable to utility costs in other Western European countries. In general, you can expect between 100€ and 200€ per month in combined utility costs.
If you contribute to France’s social security system, you qualify for public health insurance. The insurance is financed by tax deductions and covers about 70% of your basic healthcare costs. But while you are very well taken care of with the public health insurance, many expats decide to take out private insurance to cover the remaining 30% and ensure the comfort of private hospital rooms and top-notch medical services.
Driving and Getting Around
Expats who move to urban centers, such as Paris, will most likely use public transportation to get around. After all, in a densely populated metropolis like the country’s capital, owning a car can actually be a disadvantage. Many a foreigner has completely lost it over the crazy urban traffic. The good news is that, if you are lucky, your employer might even agree to reimburse you for part of your travel expenses.
However, those who move to a more rural area may inevitably have to get a car, in order to make up for the lack of a comprehensive public transportation system. Of course, buying a car in France is not exactly cheap and, with the insurance and gasoline prices, raises the cost of living immensely. If you travel long distances and like to use the toll roads, be prepared to spend a pretty penny on that as well. For a journey from Paris to Orléans, for instance, you can expect a little over 25€ one way.
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 3 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 4 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 5 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 6 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 7 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 10 Stargazing in France: 3 International Dark Sky Reserves to visit
Food, Clothing, and Other Everyday Expenses
With food and other everyday expenses, the costs depend very much on where you shop. Small and traditional businesses are usually at the higher end of the pricing scale while big grocery chains might offer bargain prices. Processed foods can be particularly expensive, while wine and cheese, on the other hand, are comparatively cheap. A bottle of good wine can cost you as little as 5€.
While you might find yourself at the heart of fashionable Europe, you should not expect to make a bargain when it comes to nice clothes. On the contrary, clothes are surprisingly expensive in France and often you can only choose between boutiques, specialty stores, and upscale department stores when doing your shopping. There are only two big sales throughout the year, in January and in July. Aside from these months, you should be prepared to pay the full price on your clothes or stock up on a visit to your home country.