Can I work remotely in France for a UK company?

Can I work remotely in France for a UK company?

Choosing to work in the UK but live in France can be a great option although it can be complicated to organise. Suzanne Ferrell of RIFT ( – a nonprofit association offering free and impartial guidance on citizens’ rights with some specialist knowledge of cross- border working – sets out some of the initial considerations below.

I live in France but want to commute to work in the UK. Can I?

The answer is, probably. As long as:

  • You have the right to work in the UK (British passport holder).
  • You are physically working in the UK, rather than remotely.
  • You don’t work in both the UK and France – if you are working in both countries, the situation will be different.
  • You or your employer will be paying all taxes and/or social security in the UK.
  • Your contract doesn’t require you to live in the UK.
  • You should qualify for a UK S1 form, issued by HMRC, to cover healthcare. You may need to check other in-work benefits, such as company pension scheme.

I live in France. Can I run a business in the UK?

This can be a difficult option and may not be possible.

  • If you are running the business from France, it is likely that at least a portion of your corporation tax will be due here with the additional admin that entails. Contact HMRC for guidance.
  • It can be complicated to pay yourself – dividends are subject to social charges in France, for example.
  • If you are carrying out work in France, the company needs to be set up as an employer of a French resident (see remote working section below).
  • This is a complex area, and many ‘experts’ themselves do not have all the answers. Be prepared to research and verify all information before finalising arrangements.

Can I work remotely in France, for a UK company?

Yes, but it’s complicated.

  • You must have the right to work in France – e.g. you are an EU passport or UK WARP (Withdrawal Agreement Resident Permit) card holder.
  • While tax is fairly straightforward, differences in social security and employment law are more complex and must be understood.
  • Your employer will need to register in France and comply with French employment law, pay all charges here and collect or hand over the employee costs. In the first instance, there is a government service called TFE that runs a free payroll service for small foreign employers. Some companies may find the costs and extra admin (such as providing you with compulsory top-up health insurance) off-putting. Alternatively, you can use an umbrella company, which can act as your employer.

Looking for more like this?

French Property News is the go-to title for anyone considering a French property purchase, either now or in the future. Packed full of expert advice from property professionals including estate agents, lawyers and tax advisors, it is the ultimate househunter’s guide to the French property market.

French Property News Issue 381 (May/June 2023)

Lead photo credit : Photo: Shutterstock

Share to:  Facebook  Twitter   LinkedIn   Email

More in Living in France, Work from home, Working remotely

Previous Article Interview with a French estate agent: Freddy Rueda
Next Article D-Day beaches in Normandy

Related Articles