Why now is the right time to refinance your French mortgage
- Credit: Archant
With historical low interest rates, it has never been a better time to re-finance your French mortgage
It is now possible to borrow over a 15 year period at only 3.20% with a fixed rate. (This means that the rate will be fixed for the entire period of your mortgage!). Variable rates are even more competitive.
WHY SHOULD YOU RE-MORTGAGE?
The two most popular reasons why people choose to re-mortgage are:
1. To save money – in order to lower monthly repayments or benefit from lower interest rates. Many people who own property in France are currently paying more than they need to on their mortgage. Therefore, with a re-mortgage, it will reduce your monthly repayments and thus save you money.
2. To raise money – to release some of the equity in your home. This could be useful if you wanted to make home improvements/renovations on your property (and consequently, adding value to your property).
WHO CAN RE-MORTGAGE?
- 1 Emily in Paris: 3 Parisian apartments for sale that remind us of the popular Netflix show
- 2 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 3 Can you guess which 3 French towns are the best to live in?
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 Eco-friendly France: 5 new laws for 2022 plus 5 more for the future
- 6 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 7 9 dreamy châteaux for sale in France for budgets starting at €200,000
- 8 Visit Notre-Dame cathedral in a new virtual reality experience
- 9 French château: Moving to the ‘edge of the world’ to run an award-winning luxury guesthouse
- 10 5 beautiful Brittany properties for sale from €77,000
Anyone who has an existing mortgage can look into re-mortgaging - provided that they meet the criteria set by their potential new mortgage lender.
In many cases, re-mortgaging can make a big impact on your monthly outgoings - for example, if you managed to negotiate down a €300,000, 15 year repayment mortgage from 4.20% to 3.20% you could save €150 a month (€27,000 over the 15 years).
HOW LONG DOES RE-MORTGAGING TAKE?
Re-mortgaging usually takes about 6-8 weeks, as you complete all the paperwork and have a valuation of your home conducted.
When you’re looking to re-mortgage, it’s always best to have an idea of:
the estimated value of your home
the outstanding mortgage amount
your annual income and the income of anyone else who will be named on the mortgage
it is also useful to get a ‘redemption statement’ from your existing lender, which will tell you exactly how much you owe.
So now is a good time to re-mortgage before interest rates are raised again. This can help you to avoid paying unnecessarily high levels of interest on your mortgage now and in the years to come.
At Sextant French Mortgages, we specialise in finding you the best rate, with quality service. We will help you re-mortgage your French property with the best rates and the best terms, saving you money in the long term!
To receive mortgages quotes with no obligation, you just need to fill this questionnaire: http://www.sextantmortgages.com/get-a-french-mortgage-quote-complete-france-fpn