CHRISTMAS OFFER Subscribe to France Magazines today CLICK HERE

How do you challenge an incorrect tax bill in France?

PUBLISHED: 11:57 06 March 2017 | UPDATED: 13:55 14 March 2017

How to challenge an incorrect French tax bill © Pixel & Creation / Fotolia

How to challenge an incorrect French tax bill © Pixel & Creation / Fotolia


Discovered an error in your French tax bill? Find out how to challenge the bill and get a resolution as quickly as possible

Robert Kent is managing director of Kentingtons Tax and Investments Consultants

Increasingly over the last few years, very significant errors have been appearing in tax bills (avis d’impôts), nearly always in favour of the tax office. Once you have recovered from the shock of an unexpectedly large bill, what should you do next?

Firstly, please consider the possibility that the tax office just may be right, so don’t forget to be kind and courteous when speaking to them and explaining your problem. Offer your thanks if they speedily correct the error. It is unhelpful to be on poor terms with your local tax office.


Related articles

Completing your French income tax return

10 French tax residency myths debunked


What errors could there be?

We have seen a wide range of mistakes made, however the main one has certainly been the application of social charges, mostly in relation to UK rental income, but also to pensions where the payer has a valid S1 form. In both they cases, social charges should not ultimately be applied, but they often are.

For UK rental income, the social charge is calculated and added; however, there should be another line that offers a tax credit equal to the amount of the calculated social charge. For pensions, it should simply not show at all, so no credit showing.

If you are absolutely confident that a mistake has been made, what should you do?

This is a suggested course of action; whatever action you decide to take, be sure to do it as quickly as possible.

1. Send an email to your tax office. This is one of the best and quickest ways to register your concerns. If you are fortunate enough to have an efficient tax office, this can work well. Your tax bill will have an email for your tax office, which will look like this: sip.(town name)

2. Visiting the website is another possible option. Log in to your account selecting the following option: Effectuer une démarche > faire une réclamation > réclamation sur l’impôt sur le revenue

3. If you are a competent French speaker, or know someone who is and is happy to help, a visit to the tax office should get the quickest result. If you can get an appointment with an inspector, you will spend far less time waiting. Call or send an email to get an appointment. During very busy periods, just turning up and taking a tickets is the only way. Often a face-to-face meeting works well and if you are very lucky you can get a correction, a dégrèvement, there and then.


Related articles

Guide to French taxes

What are the tax implications of a Brexit for British expats?


What happens if they disagree and state that the figure requested stands?

1. Send a registered letter. You have met the inspector and they disagree, but you need the tax demand to be placed formally in contention to progress. You can do this with the inspector, but these verbal requests may ‘get lost’. A formal letter sent recommandé avec accusé de réception must be formally acknowledged and cannot be ignored. Once you have written confirmation that the demand is in contention, then you can take it to the next step.

2. The conciliateur fiscal. This is just a department of the same tax office. As long as you know why you shouldn’t be paying the tax and set your argument out clearly then they will review the demand and will often rule in your favour, offering the dégrèvement. This works for us nearly all the time, with hardly anyone having to go on to the next stage

3. The médiateur (the médiateur des ministères économiques et financiers). This is not a section of the local tax office, but an office for the region which has the right to overrule the local tax office. Note that this can take a long time, so the next problem is…

What to do about the bill?

Mediation can take a long time so the deadline for payment will usually have passed. This is certainly an area of stress. If the bill is affordable, then our advice is often to pay and claim it back. You may ask why pay if it is wrong. If it is in contention with the tax office there is rarely a problem, but once it gets to the mediator, the tax office instruction to the French treasury is that the bill is due and they will simply take it from your bank account – with penalties! Clearly penalties will also be reimbursed if the subsequent ruling is in your favour. If you pay the bill then there will be no nasty surprise, no penalties and planning is easier. Stressful, but considerably less so.


Related articles

What is taxe foncière and do I have to pay it?

What is taxe d’habitations and do I have to pay it?


3-4 months is typical for mediation but it can take longer. What should you do next if they say no?

Legal action. For us it has never come to this. Mediation is slow but thorough. If mediation rejects your claim you must take professional advice and be absolutely sure that you have a claim before taking this step. Do it immediately, as you have limited time in which to take this action.

What about next year?

Keep a file of all communication, and make sure that it is neat, tidy and in order. This will make any future meetings easy. Log exact dates and times of conversations with as much detail as possible. If they repeat the same mistake – and this happens more often that you might think – then it is good to know you can easily remind them of what happened last year and save everyone the time and trouble.

More from French Property

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Don’t get caught out – it’s as important to understand your legal obligations when selling a property in France as it is when buying one

Read more
Buying guides
Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Ruth Wood looks at the French property hotspots where British buyers search for their dream home

Read more
Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Seen a bargain French property that just needs a bit of work to turn it into a dream home? If your heart is set on a renovation project, do your sums first, advises architect Nick Adams

Read more
New-build property in France
Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A new apartment development is available for investment in the Alpine expat haven of Annecy in Haute-Savoie

Read more
French Alps
Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Why your trusty high-street bank might not be the place when it comes to getting the best currency deal

Read more
Buying guides
Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Don’t be bamboozled by strange foreign exchange terms – this handy currency transfer jargon buster explains all!

Read more
Buying guides
Thursday, August 23, 2018

Is a ‘notary public’ in the UK the same as a ‘notaire’ in France?

Read more
Buying guides
Monday, July 23, 2018

Dealing with a loved one dying is difficult in any circumstances, let alone in a different country. To simplify the process as much as possible, here are the administrative procedures and legalities you need to know about when dealing with a death in France

Read more
Wednesday, September 19, 2018

With income tax soon to be deducted at source in France, how might this affect you?

Read more
Working in France
Friday, August 24, 2018

Find out how the new flat tax of 30% on income from financial investments works in France

Read more
Subscribe for

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

France Forum

Questions about France? Visit our free France forum to get help and advice from thousands of other Francophiles and expats. Topics include: property, tax, law, travelling, pets, education, healthcare and much more.

Join the forum

Most Read

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now