7 reasons to buy a property in Gers
- Credit: Archant
Home of Armagnac, Musketeers and some beautiful French châteaux, Gers is a wonderful place to buy a property
1. Relaxed way of life
One of the least densely populated departments in France, Gers offers a slow pace of life surrounded by stunning countryside and lakes – perfect for those who want to get away from hustle and bustle.
2. Three musketeers
Les Trois Mousquetaires tells the tale of a young man, Artagnan, from Gers who travels to Paris to become a soldier and becomes friends with three musketeers. Statues in the department celebrate the legend and there is even a d’Artagnan Museum in the village of Lupiac.
3. Occitanie bargains
With property in Gers having an average price of €1,210/m², this is one of the cheaper departments in Occitanie, especially compared to neighbouring Haute-Garonne which has an average property price of €2,470/m².
4, Artisanal Armagnac
Gers is home to the oldest Franch Brandy, Armagnac, first made around 1310. The once distilled, grape brandy has a strong and robust flavour and is made by numerous small producers in the area.
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 3 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 4 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 5 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 6 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 7 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
If you are an Escape to the Chateau fan and want to get a piece of the action, there are numerous wonderful château on the market in the department priced ranging from about €500,000 to €4 million. You could also spend a day in the department capital of Auche and visit the ancient Château De Lavardens, which is classified as a Historic Monument.
6. Beautiful villages
There are six Plus Beaux Villages de France in Gers. La Romieu, a village founded at the end of the 11th century and home to the UNESCO listed Saint-Pierre church, was the most recent to gain the classification in 2018. While the other five villages; Fourcès, Lavardens, Montreal, Larressingle, Sarrant all hold their own treasures.
7. International Events
Every summer, the village of Marciac becomes a land of music with the International Jazz Festival inviting performances from remarkable talents, and attracting scores of visitors. While the city of Auch is overtaken by circus performers in October for the Festival du Cirque Actuel.